What's new

Interesting "speaker" (1 Viewer)

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Hearing Is Believing
This is an interesting concept which the article notes may find it's way into HT. I'm not sure about that, but the technology does hold some interesting possibilities. Especially with any kind of near-field monitoring use.
The article doesn't mention exactly how broad the frequency response is, but I think this may improve over time. It says that the invention can't reproduce the lower-end frequencies, but I wonder if that problem could be corrected with a well-tuned subwoofer. In the future, the subwoofer may be the only conventional speaker in the entire system.
It brings up an interesting concept, though: A home theater with several "sweet spots;" each one focused on a different listening position. If you aren't in any of the specific areas, the sound goes away, leaving the rest of the house in silence. Or perhaps this could be a secondary arrangement, with a "normal" speaker setup for most uses.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Cool ummm but I could just buy earphones!

Sounds useless for home use, but for military or other things sure.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
yeah, read about that yesterday, it seems really interesting to an ubergeek like myself. :) I think it has the potential for a wide variety of applications...I mean, we'll know for sure when we hear it, but the ability to isolate sound like that...
I just wonder how it'll FEEL, you know? I enjoy listening to my music, but i want to feel it at the same time. I don't know if it has the capacity to reproduce that.
Oh well, guess we'll see. Probably be another year or so before anything substancial shows up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks