interesting scam (email)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

another scam, along the lines of the nigerian and others already posted

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I received an e-mail from Best Buy about a scam involving them, I was wondering what was up. That's a cute one. I wonder how many people were suckered.

What's kind of annoying is that Best Buy is currently using an address for their new site that is something like bestbuy.futuresomething.com. So when I see e-mails about going to try their new site I'm not sure if its valid or not. Why can't they use future.bestbuy.com so we know its really their's?

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I too received the e-mail from Best Buy talking about the fraud e-mail. Guess that must have been it.

On a similar note, I received a scam to get my eBay information yesterday. It talked about how they were trying to prevent fraud (!), and asked the user to click a link that looked like a real eBay link. However, the link actually went to a different site, where they asked all sorts of info about your bank account, personal info, credit card and so on.

I also got a PayPal scam a while ago, but the form was in the e-mail itself that time. Looking at the source I saw that the form was submitted to some other URL, and when I went there I actually found a textfile with all the info people had put in! A lot of them were fakes and just meant to heckle the people behind the fraud, but many were real, where they gave credit cards, pins, name paypal account login and password.

Too bad people fall for this, but I can't blame them, they look pretty real.

/Mike