What's new

interesting scam (email) (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
another scam, along the lines of the nigerian and others already posted

Dear customer,

Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card information.
This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/19/2003.
Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our web store where you can confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct information.
Your e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER# 1095619 - STATUS: SUSPENDED
ITEMS PURCHASED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item No: 73890
CDA-9815 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
Price: $387.65 Qty: 2 Total: $775.3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The order listed above has not yet been processed.
The reason for the delay in processing your order is:

- UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS

- Information provided:
Shipping
41 WINHAM ST
Staten Island, NY 10306
United States
phone# 206-337-9843

In our effort to deter fraudulent transactions, we need your help in providing us with the correct information. Your prompt response is needed to avoid any unauthorized charges to your credit card.
Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html
didn't know the national credit bureau had my email address :laugh:
also the link they send you to is http://bestbuy-legal.addr.com/fraud.html and not a real bestbuy domain, the link is dead but I'd imagine they ask for your info and CC number to "decline" the order.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I received an e-mail from Best Buy about a scam involving them, I was wondering what was up. That's a cute one. I wonder how many people were suckered.

What's kind of annoying is that Best Buy is currently using an address for their new site that is something like bestbuy.futuresomething.com. So when I see e-mails about going to try their new site I'm not sure if its valid or not. Why can't they use future.bestbuy.com so we know its really their's?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I too received the e-mail from Best Buy talking about the fraud e-mail. Guess that must have been it.

On a similar note, I received a scam to get my eBay information yesterday. It talked about how they were trying to prevent fraud (!), and asked the user to click a link that looked like a real eBay link. However, the link actually went to a different site, where they asked all sorts of info about your bank account, personal info, credit card and so on.

I also got a PayPal scam a while ago, but the form was in the e-mail itself that time. Looking at the source I saw that the form was submitted to some other URL, and when I went there I actually found a textfile with all the info people had put in! A lot of them were fakes and just meant to heckle the people behind the fraud, but many were real, where they gave credit cards, pins, name paypal account login and password.

Too bad people fall for this, but I can't blame them, they look pretty real.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks