Interesting question of the day- Are the stereo decoders in all recievers the same?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Jan 28, 2002.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Are they?

I could swear when listening to music in Stereo with my friends stereo, there was more spearation between the instruments..

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Nathan- I would hazard an educated guess, that the type of speaker, and speaker placement is a much bigger influence on this than the receiver itself. Program material also, obviously, plays a role. (Typical FM tuner *will* have less separation than a well recorded CD, for example.)

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Stereo isn't "decoded" since it's not encoded in the first place. 2 channels go in, and hopefully the electronics keep the channels separate to the output stage.
    Your friend could have better speakers, better placement of said speakers, better source as mentioned, or perhaps a few other things.
    Figure out what is different about his setup and emulate it in yours [​IMG]

4. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

Nathan, are you talking about ther digital to analog converters? because if you are sending a digital signal from the CD to the receiver, then it is the receiver doing the "deconding", or conversion from digital to analog for the signal to be amplified.

Since not all receivers use the same D/A converters, then yes, there are going to be differences. Am I missing something here?

Oh, and of course, the rest of the system has an influence, and the room and speakers probably more so than the D/A converter, but that's a whole other story.

5. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Nathan, assuming you are playing the same cd or dvd, stereo seperation is 99.9% speakers, speaker placement and room acoustics.

Nick