Interesting problem with firefox .8

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Andrew_A_Paul, Jun 29, 2004.

1. I came down to my computer about 30 minutes ago and went to my bookmark list and it was empty!!! (I just used what it imported from IE and added on from there to folders and the firefox toolbar). All my bookmarks were gone and it had reset the homepage to mozilla.org Any else have this happen to them running firefox .8????

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

FireFox is now up to version 0.9.1 so you might want to upgrade.

That said, I've now reverted to 0.9. When browsing HTF with 0.9.1 I see all of the advertising banners which 0.9 blocks. Something ain't right with it.

*EDIT actually there's something not right between the seat and the keyboard coz I hadn't reset the ad blocking on ZoneAlarm properly. Duuuuh.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    does anyone know the difference between firefox and mozilla? from what i understand, firefox is just the web browser, and mozilla is a browser and email client and a bunch of other goodies, right? unlike all my other unsuccessful IE departures (opera, netscape, and the IE clone called MY IE), firefox has successfully torn me away from internet explorer. are there any benefits to using mozilla over firefox? is the web browsing portion of mozilla the same as firefox? i guess what i'm asking is, will i like mozilla if i like firefox?

sorry for the thread hijack, i dont mean to...anyway, i try to keep my bookmarks backed up every now and then, it is a pain in the ass to start over.

CJ

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

FireFox has a seperate development plan to Mozilla, but they share some similarities. As you said, Mozilla has the mail client while Fox is a stripped-down browser (4.5mb install) which you can 'bolt on' extensions if you need more funcationality. There's a seperate mail client called Thunderbird to go with it.

I'm not entirely sure why they keep the two products going. I think it's possibly that Mozilla is more established and well-known, whereas Fox is really still quite experimental and is more 'new technology' - they haven't even released version 1.0 yet.

Personally I think Fox is the best browser I've seen. I tried Mozilla in the past and just thought it to be a varient of Netscape, which is not something I want.

5. Well i did have firefox .9 installed, but when i was playing around with the settings, namely to set the download folder and make it automatic to download to there just by right clicking and saving, it would still prompt me to choose a folder to download too. So i went back to firefix .8

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I find I like Firefox's GUI more eye-pleasing (even the new theme for .9.1). As far as losing all of your bookmarks, your profile probably became corrupt or dropped, if you have other instances of Mozilla on your PC (this includes a newer version of Netscape, Mozilla regular browser, etc.).

Look on one of the start menus for either Netscape or Mozilla, there should be a default profile manager or something like that. Click on it and you'll see the various profiles on your PC for Mozilla. Click on one and see what happens (one will probably have older bookmarks, another will have newer bookmarks that you've made in the last few days/weeks/months).

Good luck!

7. If i got to the profile manager is just opens another firefox browser window......??

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

hmmm shouldn't do that. it should open up a box with at least one or two profiles on there, one that might say Default and another might say Mozilla or Mozilla Default. Usually when I pick one or the other it has my lost bookmarks. Of course if your profiles got hosed, that might be why it simply starts a new browser.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I recently uninstalled everything Mozilla (Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox) and all of their components, then did a clean install of Firefox 0.9.1. That unfortunately no longer has a shortcut for profile manager and I can't walk you through it since it is no longer on my PC...

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Close all of your Firefox windows, then click on Start, then Run and enter firefox -p

10. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I just discovered something as well, and now I can't use the browser as a result. When you put too much search criteria in Ebay (IE lots of words to filter out) the browser will not operate. It will come up with an error saying "The document contains no data". Even when I reduce the filtered list of words, some combinations of words will make it do this. That's pretty sad. It also does this with version 0.9.1.

Jeff

11. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Well this is interesting. Netscape does the same thing. So out of Firefox, Netscape and IE 6.0, only IE does not do this. Strange!

Jeff

12. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Any luck Andrew? If not, try opening up the profile folder directly. If you are using Win XP it's usually under C:/Documents and Settings/Your User Name/Application Data/Mozilla or Firefox or Firebird depending on which version you have. (the app data folder is hidden)

Like others have said, since it reverted back to default settings, it just sounds like you have a new profile so you should see a couple profiles in this folder. Even if the profile is messed up, I doubt the bookmarks is what is messing it up so you should still be able to get to your bookmarks (provided they are still on the PC.) Just open all the profiles up until you get a bookmark file that is larger than 3kb (this is the size of the default one). For reference, my bookmark folder is 21kb. I got into the habit of backing it up back when I first had a problem with XP and had to reinstall everything and forgot to copy my favorites from IE.

13. I can get into the profile manager if I use the 'run' command. I just recently did a fresh install of the OS and I can access the profile manager through the start menu now. I think i'll re-install .9 and see if i can get it to work properly.

I've been having some problems (possibly) with the new install of the OS. I say possibly because I haven't had it going enough to tell if this is just going to be a one time thing or stuff that happens will be re-occuring. I installed the OS, ghosted an image of the windows drive, installed most all apps that I have, and ghosted an image of both the main partitions.

I have a question about norton ghost. I have never actually restored an image. I have restored an image from Drice Image, and i know all the files and such are fine, but non of the directories work (you can't run the programs). My understanding with ghost s that if you create a backup image and then restore it to a drive, all the programs and everything run perfectly fine. Is this true? Or is this only the case if you Clone a drive?