Interesting problem with convergence and geometry - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Forner, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

A few weeks back I noticed that the red CRT gun on my Toshiba 42H81 seemed a little off in the upper right corner of the screen. No problem, I thought. I just adjusted the 9-point convergence grid and the 56-point grid and thought that was that.

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away. The geometry on my set keeps getting thrown off for some reason, particularly the red gun and no matter how many times I correct it, it keeps drifting off center. Now I fear that the problem is getting worse. Originally the problem only existed in the upper right corner of the screen, but now it plagues the entire right side of the picture and now the red lines on the lower left corner are drifting off too.

Does this sound like a job for a repairman or could something I'm doing cause this to happen? For what it's worth, I recently added a pre/pro and amp combo to my system, and the amp (an Outlaw 750) sat very close to the Red CRT gun. I thought that this might be what's causing the problem, but I removed it from my system yesterday and the Red CRT is still getting thrown off.

If anyone could give me an idea of what is going on and how I might be able to solve this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Do the convergence after the TV has been on (warmed up good) for 30 minutes or more. It is not unusual for the convergence and;/or geometry to drift during the first half hour of viewing. Thereafter it should be stable.
    Also it is not unusual for setting overscan to near zero and getting good geometry at the same time to be very critical or unachievable.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm