What's new

Interesting observation re: JAWS..... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all.
Was flicking through cable this AM and came across JAWS for probably the 10th time this month on TBS, (BOY, when they have the b'cast rights to a film do they MILK it!)
and just as a comparison, I threw in my dvd and synched them up using PIP. While observing the P+S, WS differences, there was a cut to the next scene and suddenly we were out of sync. Apparently TBS plays the longer extended version, w/ the scenes that are DELETED on the DVD, reinserted... Kinda like what ABC did w/ Wrath of Khan and Superman.
Interesting. What version do we call this? It's
CERTAINLY not uncut as some of the gore and language has been trimmed, it's NOT a director's cut as Spielberg chose the theatrical version (W/ minor sound FX changes) for the DVD...(and most of the deleted scenes look AMAZING, Anamorphic etc so he could have ala CE3K, made a longer version...)
The "Long version" perhaps??
Interesting... if you had never before seen JAWS, watched it on TBS, dug it, went out, bought disc, went "Woah! MORE GORE! WIDESCREEN! but, wait. It's EDITED! There are scenes missing!!!"
Scene (Edited on DVD) where Robert Shaw heckles a kid playing Clarinet (?) is CLASSIC!
And for years, I thought this was in the Film because I had taped it off ABC on Beta!!!!
:) D

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Don't know what you would call that cut but the first movie I remembered seeing a different cut was Aliens and the whole sentry gun thing (before the director's cut was released)

Apparently we can expect a longer TV cut when Hannibal airs also.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep, and that version of ALIENS is the ONLY 1 you can get on DVD.
Anyone remember the horrible butcher jobs ABC did to "2 minute Warning" or "The Warriors"??
In "2 minute"... (Cool lil' Charlton Heston B-movie about a sniper at the Super Bowl) they removed all the gore and made the sniper a diversion for an art heist!!!
In "The Warriors" they had a subplot w/cops trying to "help" the misguided kids!!
And the TVguide ad stated "2 kids lost in NYC, trying to get home" (!) or something similar and the "art" in the ad had Michael Beck wearing a jacket and NOT his vest!!
Now, when you catch :"The Warriors" on USA, it is a slightly longer version, to fill time I suppose but with the fight scenes HEAVILY trimmed... Theat. version.... Swan punches 1st baseball Fury 3 times, in USA version 2x...
Odd since there is NO blood in any of the fight scenes that these would be trimmed! I mean, what would they do to the end of "The Quiet Man"?????

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Many films have "extended" TV cuts where they keep the running time up by replacing cut scenes with acceptable replacement scenes (often from deleted theatrical scenes - ie, not as good for whatever reasons).

Besides Aliens and Jaws, the first one that comes to mind is Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

BTW, about 10 years ago we did this with the Jaws LD. What struck us then was just how horrible the P&S really is on that film. It's enough to make you motion sick at some points, especially when you see the still shot that the OAR version is using.

Compare the dinner scene when Dryfus brings the wine over. Horrible P&S.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
...and apparently we are getting the LONG version of The Swarm on DVD!
Always a cheesy, guilty pleasure... "AGH! It's BEES...!!!"
But a 40 or so minute longer version...? EEEK!!!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
At least these deleted scenes from "Jaws" which can be seen in widescreen on supplements in the LD and DVD were scenes shot for the theatrical version. There were a number of Universal movies in the late 70s that in order to pad their running times for television would shoot as much as a half hour extra of footage more than a year after the movie came out theatrically, usually involving subplots with different actors. Among some of the more notable examples.

1-"Midway" which runs 40 minutes longer on TV because of a half hour Battle of Coral Sea segment and a subplot involving Charlton Heston's romance with Susan Sullivan. The Heston-Sullivan scenes only are in a supplement on the DVD and presented full-frame indicating they were shot in a TV ratio.

2-"Two Minute Warning" which added an entire new subplot that changed the focus of the film from a lone nut gunman terrorizing the Super Bowl, to a gunman acting as a diversion for some art heist.

3-"Earthquake" which added a subplot involving a 707 landing at the airport just as the quake strikes and taking off again.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The Brady Bunch Movie was just on USA with extra footage. Finally, we know why Mr. Ditmeyer is walking through the mall carrying a toilet!

Neil

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
In the extended cut of the film, Ditmeyer's daughters science project (mutated termites) eats through the bathroom floor, and Ditmeyer and his old toilet fall through the floor. That sub-plot was cut out of the film. In the release version, Ditmeyer is inexplicably wearing a neck brace and carrying a toilet when the Brady's are at Sears.

Neil

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The person in the link below says that Ditmeyer's brace is as a result of being injured when he picks up the live wire that he believed to be Cincy's jump rope.
Ditmeyer does seem to get his ass kicked in the film, so I guess he could be wearing the neck brace for any reason. It's just clearer in the extended version.

Neil

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 - has additional scenes on TV, but not on DVD.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
There are extra scenes in the TV print of JAWS 2 as well. Some of these (or maybe all) appear on the DVD as extras.

JAWS THE REVENGE is shown on TV with the original US theatrical ending; (Jake dies) while the VHS, Laser and DVD versions have the alternate (Jake Lives) foreign version.

Mick B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mick
Dave, I believe what you experienced was a Ted Turner invention (I think), where they alter the speed of the film or tv show ever so slightly so that you actually get all of the film shown at a shorter running time. they figured this out so they could get in more commercials. I did a google search for the name of this technique but came up empty. Anybody know the technical name for this?

Mick

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
in the world of tv, it's called "time compression."

Meredith-owned local NBC affliate is some deep doo about doing this on prime-time shows lately. if you can get another 30 second spot per hour for the local station to sell and get all the profit...well, the network doesn't approve...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks