Interesting OAR e-mail from Blockbuster

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MichaelW, Apr 23, 2003.

1. MichaelW

MichaelW Stunt Coordinator

As usual, I sent in my monthly e-mail to Blockbuster:

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

You'll need to print that out and take to BB the next time you go.

Glenn

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Pretty good for Blockbuster, but they'll have to stop their NC-17 ban to get me to set foot in there again. (How bout a ban on Macrovision?)

4. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Finally Blockbuster listens. I've been getting my DVDs at Hollywood video and will continue to do so but it's nice to know that BB can now become an alternative for a hard to find title.

Jesse, trust the fungus indeed on 6/3 when we get the DVD[​IMG] .

5. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

For the record, I went to my local Blockbuster last week and they ONLY had the widescreen version of Drumline available for rent. I was actually pretty impressed!

Here's hoping that this positive trend continues!

6. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

My local blockbuster has been stocking almost exclusively widescreen for quite some time (with a few rare but irritating exceptions).

This certainly looks like it's good news for the rest of their chain though!

7. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Blockbuster has been advertiseing $14.99 Pre-viewed dvds (cdn $$) so I went to check out what was available unfortunately they had TONS of copies of many movies I would purchase but they were all full-screen!

8. MichaelW

MichaelW Stunt Coordinator

Mark from College Station:

Which Blockbuster do you go to in B/CS?

9. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

My local Blockbuster has recently been pulling a 180 and now stocking only widescreen product. Drumline, Harry Potter, etc. Definitely a good sign.

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

11. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Michael, I don't do Blockbuster, I usually hit the Hastings on Texas and Holleman. It has a great selection, stocks unrated, and stocks the vast majority of its titles in W/S. BB is only when I can't find it at Hastings.

12. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

My local Movie Gallery recently went from stocking all P&S to nearly all widescreen for the new additions. I was absolutely shocked when I went in after a few months of "protest" and saw the change.

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Amen on Hastings! A bit more $$ but they always have WS copies.

14. MikeZ

MikeZ Auditioning

I had a free rental per week for a year from Blockbuster (for signing up with directv through them), my local store always carried widescreen.

I am proud to say that I have never actually paid for a rental from Blockbuster. Around here, the dominant video store is a place called Family Video, followed by a distant second, Hollywood Video. Also, it has been a couple of years since I've paid more than $1 to rent a DVD, new releases included (and I normally rent two to four DVDs / week). We did have a Hastings for a while, they got their butts handed to them in a sling. Nice selection, but the prices were horrible. The only time I actually spent money there was at 75% off at their going out of business sale. Viva competicion!

15. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Jonathan: I, too am from Maine and have been bearing down on Movie Gallery - it seems to be paying off. But if you are anywhere near Brunswick, check out BART AND GREG'S DVD EXPLOSION. Great selection (including ERASERHEAD and SUNRISE!) Short of that, Hollywood in Augusta and other places has a far superior selection of catalog titles. MOVIE GALLERY pretty much caters to J6P, but the individual store managers are making an effort to stock
    WS and more extensive catalog titles.

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

17. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

**Rant begins**
    You know what PISSED me off to the extent where I will NEVER, and I mean NEVER rent from the craphole known as Blockbuster again....edited movies. It was bad enough getting the movie in pan/scan but they edited out scenes that were "not appropriate". Whatever the hell that means. What a RIPOFF! I was never told that they edited their movies nor was it written any where on the title. So I in essence I paid for part of a movie....the part THEY felt was appropriate. No amount, shy of a reimbursement of rental fees, would bring me to rent from them.

Here's the link:

http://www.citypages.com/databank/24...ticle11070.asp

The article is misleading because I swear that I have rented R rated titles and discovered later that there were scenes cut....Shakespeare in Love comes to mind.
    **Rant over**

18. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Blockbuster doesn't exactly edit movies. They get the studios to give them an editted version.

19. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I wonder if this has anything to do with the sudden resurgence of double sided DVDs from studios such as Fox (The Transporter, Phone Booth, etc.)