What's new

Interesting (not) mailer from Best Buy w/coupons (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
**In my best Cartman voice**

Hey you guys!
Guess what I got in the mail today!
Guess what I got in the mail today!

Woo hoo! $5 off any 3 full-price DVDs! Hold me back! :rolleyes:I guess at least this must mean I'm on some sort of mailing list! :D

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Or you could get one in today's (Sunday's) newspaper. Both major newspapers in my area had them tucked safely in the ad bundle.

On a related note, I am pondering the actual "value" of this week's $5 off three regular priced DVDs. Using a $29.99 MSRP DVD as an example, using this coupon at Best Buy would cost me:

$89.97 for 3 DVDs
- $5.00 coupon
+ $5.52 in tax
+ $7.00 in driving cost (20-mile round trip x .30/mile)
---------
$97.46

And this cost doesn't include at least an hour's worth of time to do the deed. Since I value my free time, and don't consider standing in line at Best Buy fun, there's is a very real cost here as well.

Buying the same DVDs at DDD or Amazon:

$71.97 for 3 DVDs (assuming average 20% discount off MSRP)
+ $0.00 in tax
+ $0.00 in driving cost
+ $0.00 in wasted time/hassle/crowds
---------
$71.97

Bottom line?
Actual extra cost to buy 3 DVDs at Best Buy using "coupon" = $25.49. :eek:

Some bargain, huh? This is clearly one of those deals that only benefits the compulsive shopper. Since I had no intention of buying 3 full-price DVDs before I heard of the coupon, I'm glad I looked at the numbers before I launched off on another trip to Best Buy to buy more DVDs to sit unwatched on the shelf. ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, I just got It Came From Beneath The Sea ($14.99...best price from last week's Roundup), American Idol w/Best Buy Bonus Disc ($14.99...we missed the 1st season and my son is now a fanatic for the show, and me and the missus enjoy it, so we'll see what we missed), and the 2-pack of The Alamo/The Kentuckian ($14.99 for the 2-pack).

$14.99x3 = $44.97; -$5 = $39.97; ÷5 discs = $7.99 per disc. Savings of $1 per disc (11.12% if you want to calculate it that way).

I was there anyway to get Clue and Bridget Jones' Diary on the 2-for$20 sale that started today. And it's right in the area where I buy groceries, which we were out to do anyway. So I don't count gas or time as an "extra cost" here.

Yeah, I think it was a bargain. For me, anyway. I'd promised myself I'd get the AI thing whenever I got the next preferred customer coupons; I've been wanting Alamo/Kentuckian for a while (just mentioned that in a John Wayne thread within the past week or so), and was looking for It Came From Beneath the Sea since street date last Tuesday.

As far as I'm concerned, this was perfect! Your milage may vary, of course. But hey, Best Buy didn't *have* to send out ANYthing!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention this strange thing here:

They were handing out in the store the same booklet I got in the mail which had the coupons in it. I grabbed one, eagerly thinking, "Cool...more coupons that I can use on Tuesday!"

Nope...didn't have any coupons it it! :eek:

Had the wife ask for another copy. No coupons.

Found a stack of the booklets at the lookup desk. Flipped through several randomly drawn from different parts of the stack. No coupons! :frowning:

Darn it....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i got one of those pamphlets in the mail a over a month ago. and founsd them iin store todaoy.
but they only have coupons for buy 3 get 5 off. iff the dvd's are 19.99 or higher.

is there another one good for lower priced dvd's?

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I used the $5 off 3 DVDs coupon this past Friday on a few titles:

$45 - Jack Ryan Collection
$16 - Catch Me if You Can
$12 - Fletch (how could I not buy this one?)

Well the cashier didn't care about the date on the coupon or how it was supposed to be for $14.99 and up movies. So she took $5 off the Jack Ryan collection and I went home a happy man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks