Interesting news about nVidia cutting corners in 3dMark

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott L, May 30, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Link 1
    Link 2

They seem to have buried instructions deep in the card to increase 3d testing performance, it works by lowering quality settings in key areas to output inflated scores. Extreme Tech found this out because the 5900 and 9800 seemed to be about equal in actual game performance, but for some odd reason the nVidia would keep thrashing it in 3dMark.

Ooo PC scandals. If you're interested here's another one I came accross here:

SilenX PSU's are great! Buy buy buy!! :p)

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

ATI is doing the same thing, just to a different degree. Hardware makers have been doing this for years, its not that big of a deal. In fact the only people this bothers are those that run these hardware sites and the people that write the benchmarking software. I'll never look at the numbers in hardware reviews, I'll read whether the reviewer thought the thing was fast and whether other people that have bought it agree that it is fast. Benchmark numbers are just like Mhz ratings, there is more to the piece of hardware than the number.

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The best benchmark scores are the ones measured with the actual games you intend to play. In the end, that's the only reliable benchmark out there.

That reminds me. When is DOOM III coming out? [​IMG]

4. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

HALF LIFE 2 BABY!!!

5. MikeAlletto

6. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

Michael: good to hear.. i'm doing the same.. building a top-of-the-line pc to be ready the day HL2 ships!! [​IMG]..

springdale chipset... i havne't looked into this yet.. sounds interesting.. where have you been doing your research on it?

7. MikeAlletto

I've mainly been using tomshardware.com and sharkyextreme.com for reviews. The mb I've been lookin at is the MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R mb
    (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...&MODEL=MS-6728).

You could go with a canterwood mb but the sprindale gives you almost exactly the same performance and a much cheaper price. Still has the 800Mhz fsb, dual channel ddr400, gigabit ethernet, etc, etc, etc.

The higher end msi board (named above) has extra logic on the mb, it automatically overclocks the cpu and bus a little bit when opening applications and I'm assuming other intensive operations. Also I'm looking at a 2.4Ghz P4 800mhz bus, hyperthreading. Its relatively cheap and everything I've read about it has indicated that they are having no problems pushing it to 3.0 ghz. Why pay the HUGE premium for 3ghz when you can just get a 2.4 and push it a little bit. The most expensive piece is going to be the video card. I priced it all out with 1GB ram and 2 120GB 7200 western digital special edition HD's for just under a grand. I'll probably drop it to 512 ram and 1 HD to save about 150. Since I'm not going to be buying anything till september I'm hoping for 'back to school' sales [​IMG]