Interesting...new Aragon THX Ultra2 Pre/Pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacy Legault, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Jacy Legault

Jacy Legault Auditioning

Has anyone seen one of these yet?
    Link ==>Stage One

2. Robert Elliott

Robert Elliott Stunt Coordinator

It is gorgeous to look at and I fully expect it to sound great but the price is too high for my tastes. Of course, I own all Klipsch gear so I should be used to the prices.[​IMG]

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i haven't seen one, but do own an Acurus ACT-3, so have spent some time on the Acurus forum on the Klipsch website. it looks like a beauty, but like Robert said, it's priced out of my league. fortunately, as an Acurus Act-3 owner i have the opportunity to take advantage of an excellent trade in/upgrade program being offered by Mondial/Klipsch.
    i can trade my Act-3 for a $1500 credit towards the $4000 Stage One, ie: my Act-3 + $2500 + shipping = Stage One.
    OR
    i can upgrade my Act-3 to "nearly" Stage One performance for $900. the upgraded unit will consist of my front panel and case with all new guts and a new back panel, and will not have THX processing found in the Stage One.
    I'm leaning towards the latter.[​IMG]

4. Jacy Legault

Jacy Legault Auditioning

Wow! That's interesting. There were a bunch of ACT-3s that went for $500 new on ubid a while back. I wish I would have known about the trade up program.

5. Will

Will Guest

Does the new Aragon Stage One pre/pro do DPL II?

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Yes Will, I believe it does...and in fact is completely THX Ultra 2 compliant.

7. Will

Will Guest

I found on the above web site that the Aragon Stage One will support DTS-ES and THX surround EX and THX Ultra2. But I couldn't find where it says DPL II. Maybe it's there but I missed it.

8. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

"..It is gorgeous to look at and I fully expect it to sound great but the price is too high for my tastes..."
    Sounds like my secretary!! [​IMG]
    Hehe j/k

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Will, the Aragon (based on info from the Klipsch website) states that it will be using the DSP ENGINE: Motorola 56367 upon it's release. This is the same chip that the upgraded Anthem AVM-20 will be getting when it gets it's DTS-ES upgrade, which will allow it to do DPL-II. Seeing Sonic Frontiers is waiting on Motorola to work through the bugs in the code for this chip, I would assume that the Aragon could not even be released until Motorola gets their act together. According to the website, this unit will be shipping this month, which if that is true, the Anthem owners should soon get their upgrade as well.

By the way, right now the Anthem uses the Motorola DSP chip #56366.

10. Will

Will Guest

Hi Evan S,

If the new Aragon pre/pro will have DPL II when it is released which is slated for later this month, that is interesting, but I couldn't find DPL II in any Aragon pre/pro literature. Are you thinking that DPL II may be an add-on upgrade to the pre/pro, after it is released?

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Will, I don't know how Aragon plans to handle the situation, but I do know that chipset will be coded to include DPL-II. If Aragon is going to release the unit with the Motorola 56366 and then upgrade to the 56367 or just wait until all the bugs are gone with the 56367, I have no idea. I would assume they would just delay the unit until it has the 56367 rather than upgrade seeing as the upgrade could come just weeks after release.

Another thing I find interesting is that Mondial/Klipsch is charging $750 for this chip upgrade to those who want to upgrade the Aragon Soundstage unit. Seeing this is the exact same upgrade chip package that Sonic Frontiers is offering for the AVM-20 at $300, I wonder what the difference is? Is SF being nice to their dealers/customers by keeping the price low or is there a definate difference in the two upgrades? From my research it doesn't seem that there is.

12. Rusty J.

Rusty J. Agent

Is Anthem offering an upgrade from the Soundstage to the Stage One? Not that I could afford either, but I was just wondering.

13. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Hi Rusty,
    your quote:
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    Is Anthem offering an upgrade from the Soundstage to the Stage One? Not that I could afford either, but I was just wondering.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    Anthem and Aargon are the manufacturers and AVM20 and Stage One are the respective Pre/Pros for both of these comanies...
    Hope this helps? I would love to see SF(Sonic Frontiers, Parent company of Anthem) to upgrade Stage One... [​IMG]
    Just kidding... [​IMG]
    -Alex

14. Rusty J.

Rusty J. Agent

Hi Alex,

Oops, I guess that was just too many companies that begin with an A for me to remember. Thanks for the correction.

So, does anyone know if Mondial/Aragon is offering an upgrade from the Soundstage to the Stage One, and if so, how much it will cost?

15. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Yes, here's the text of a message from the Mondial forum that was forwarded to me:

"There will be two upgrades available for the Soundstage as well as a trade-in offer towards the new Stage One. The first upgrade you may already be aware of - the component video upgrade. This one will add component video

switching capability to the Soundstage. This one will cost $200 plus shipping both ways. I'm not sure what taxes if any will be involved. This upgrade should be ready to go in the very near future.

The second upgrade offer will be a major upgrade including a new DSP engine providing for 7.1 capability as well as Dolby Pro Logic II and dtsES. It will also include new DAC's w/ 24-bit/192kHz resolution and 8-ch pass-thru capability. Basically, this will upgrade the processing capability up to nearly that of the Stage One - the difference being the THX parameters and surround modes and the functionality differences due to the different remotes. This one will be a factory-only upgrade priced at $750 plus shipping both ways and whatever taxes are applicable. This upgrade will not

become available until around May 2002 and will run for about four months thereafter.

Lastly, there will be a trade-in offer by which you can trade-in your Soundstage for a $2500 credit towards a new Stage One. You basically give us your Soundstage and $1500 plus freight and taxes and stuff and there you go.

Details will be forthcoming on these three options in the form of a press release. We just finalized the details of these upgrades and the trade-in program and are working out the semantics of it all now. Anyways, I know everyone is anxious to know something so I thought I would let you in on a little of the news. Again, details will be forthcoming soon.

Jim G

Klipsch

Jan 14, 2002"

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Bob

16. Joe e h

Joe e h Stunt Coordinator

This unit has been delayed and problems have cropped up. I read a few comments on the HTOC.Net site concerning this piece. information can be found by doing a search for gasgeek.

17. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

For that price I'd get an Integra RDC-7.[​IMG]

18. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

19. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Hey, it's a valid comment. Sure, it looks nice, and the features look ok. But for that price you can get a better unit from a company with a proven track record for upgrades (Onkyo/Integra). It just seems to me that $4000 is quite a bit to risk on a piece that's been reported to have so many problems.

20. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

What are the reported problems with the Stage One JerryW?
    The only reports I've heard on the Stage One were from the CES show. And I'm not sure if anyone has even heard the unit outside of Mondials' labs. The only problem I've seen with any of the newest processors is the newest Motorola chip and code issues. I would think if there is any hold up of the Stage One. It has to do with that.
    As far as the Stage One and Intergra compared to each other. It hasn't happened yet that I've heard of.
    If it's just about price then maybe other units will fit those who have sticker shock. [​IMG]