Interesting list of pre-order SACDs at Elusive Disc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 15, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Here is the latest list of SACDs available for pre-order from Elusive Disc, as communicated in this week's e-mail newsletter:

Blue Oyster Cult Agents of Fortune - Sony Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

David Bowie Heathen - Sony Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Keb' Mo' Just Like You - Sony Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Johnny Mathis The Christmas Album - Sony Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Ozzy Osbourne Live at Budokan - Sony Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Various Artists VH1 Divas Las Vegas: 2002 - Sony Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Vivaldi Late Violin Concertos - Sony Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Leonard Bernstein West Side Story - DG Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Anne-Sophie Mutter Beethoven Sonatas - DG Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Bryn Terfel Wagner Arias - DG Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Ozawa New Year's Concert 2002 - Decca Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Beck Sea Change - Geffen Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Peter Gabriel Up - Geffen Hybrid Stereo SACD $17.99

Mozart Piano Concertos 271 & 503 - Phillips Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

I am especially interested in the Ozzy, Keb' Mo', Blue Oyster Cult, and Bowie SACDs. Now that Universal single-layer SACDs are selling for $14.99, it would be nice if Sony would lower its prices, or sell hybrids for $17.99. Anyway, there is good stuff there.

By the way, according to Elusive Disc, the BOC SACD will have an unreleased outtake of "Fire of Unknown Origin." Could be interesting.

2. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for providing the run-down on these upcoming releases Keith. Expect some of the bigger "names" will be had for much less elsewhere....

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

If the Gabriel and Beck discs are indeed Hybrids, I will be picking them up for sure after passing on the initial redbook releases. As for the Sony material, I refuse to buy any SACD non-Hybrid discs.

J

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Piers,

No problem. Actually, Elusive Disc's price for those Sony SACDs is pretty reasonable. Best Buy has most multi-channel SACDs for $19.99, while some are marked $21.99. Still, $17.99 is high when we are seeing Universal single-layer discs for $14.99.

Justin,

I understand your frustration with Sony. It's high time that they got with the program. However, Universal is just releasing SACDs, and some of them are single-layer discs. We are moving backwards, unfortunately.

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I guess it's easier to get the following out on SACD:
    1. classical music pieces
    No surprise there -- look out how much quality classical is out there at excellent prices.
    2. newer titles, e.g. Beck, Gabriel, Bowie.
    I guess the companies are starting to put SACD and other hi-res formats into contracts, etc. so that they don't have to go back later.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I think it's a pretty good list. I want most of those titles. Now, gimme gimme.

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'd love to hear the Keb' Mo' disc.

But, can anyone confirm that Keb' changed the lyrics to Johnny Cash's 'Folsom Prison Blues' on the new compilation album, 'Kindred Spirits'? I heard he didn't want to do the line 'But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.' Well, the line seems pretty integral to what Cash is saying in the song.

Just a thought,

AM

8. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Peter Gabirel is stereo? I had thought there was already a 5.1 mix of that album. Are they saving it for the DVD-A?? Not that I don't want stereo, but I would rather have both!

9. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

10. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'm interested in the BOC title definetly because its Multi-Channel. If the Peter Gabriel was Multi, I'd buy it but I doubt it will sound that much better than the just released cd.
    I would guess the DVDA (if it is ever done) would have to have a Multi Mix. That one I'll buy.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Sony will not get my money since they aren't hybrid.