Interesting Info on BATMAN (1966) Rights Issues

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Claude North, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

All this time, I was under the impression that it was a Fox-Warners dispute, but according to last night's chat, it's a Fox-DC Comics dispute. Of course, DC is part of Time-Warner, but it did surprise me to learn that Warner Home Video is out of the loop on this.

2. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I don't buy it. I've read everywhere that DC Comics is owned by WB. Sounds to me like WB just wants to pass the buck on the issue. Bottom line, I wouldn't expect the show to come to DVD for a long, long time.

3. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

Actually, "Batman" is going to be coming out on DVD in the near future; possibly by the end of this year or beginning of 2006 in time for its 40th anniversary. I belong to a discussion group called "The 1966 Batman Message Board" and the people that are spearheading the project say that things are on track for a release in the near future. As we speak, Adam West and Burt Ward have interviewed for special feature segments. All of the negotiations behind the scenes have not been revealed. I do not know all the sordid details, but the guys heading up the project are the real deal and things are moving forward rapidly.

I know it sounds too good to be true, but there was a lot of discussion six weeks ago on the upcoming DVD release. The thread was removed from the site because (I guess) the discussion was getting out of hand and might have jeopardized the negotiation process.

Here is the link to the message board. Please check it out:

http://www.workshirtsales.com/cgi-bi...aBB.pl/YaBB.pl

4. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    From what I hear of the Time-Warner/Warner Bros. empire, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. In fact, there have been some really complicated deals done in teh past just to have a property cross media, because each division of TW is just so damn convoluted.

5. Paul Pro

Paul Pro Stunt Coordinator

Do you know if it's Fox or Warner Bros. who are conducting the special features,interviews etc.?

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

I hope that's true. It makes too much sense not to have the show out in time for the new feature or the new feature's DVD release and the 40th anniversary. I do recall reading that site a while back and there do seem to be a few people in the know there.

7. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

Fox Home Video would be the guys putting it out. Warner Home Video has nothing to do with the release at all. There was some glitches (I believe, but not 100% sure) with Fox and the original show producers' families and that's where the holdup has been; not with Warner Brothers or DC Comics. This would make sense to me. A lot of times in the media business, licensing issues are pretty straightforward business practices. Yes, Fox Home Video would need to do some negotiating with Warner concerning video residuals, but that would probably take five seconds to straighten out. Everyone would split a portion of the profits (and determine which end of the profits that would be) and call it a nice fat paycheck.

The producers, however, would have received a percentage of all the syndicated and cable showings on a declining percentage as the years kept passing by. In other words, the producers received a better percentage from showings in 1970 than they do now in 2005. As a matter of fact, their residuals have probably run their course at this point. Now that everyone is talking about making lots of money off of DVD box sets (which would not have been part of the original contract), then a new negotiation has to take place for the producers' share of the box set profits. Now, I do not know if this residual percentage stuff is what really has caused the delay of "Batman" on DVD, but I am speculating from the tiny bit of information shared on the message board.

I do not believe anything will be available in time for the new movie. I am not "in the know" on any of this. I am just passing along information that was passed along from the people "in the know" on the message board I referred to earlier.

I'm not trying to be evasive, but I want to make it clear that it's just information I'm passing along. It is not directly from the horse's mouth.

One of the moderators of the website is the one spearheading the project. As details progress, he will be keeping everyone informed.

Hey, I know. I've just been BLOGGING! Wow! What will I learn next?

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Greg,
    Thanks for your update. It's good to hear that things have indeed been moving along on this project. Keep the updates coming!

9. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

Now that everyone is talking about making lots of money off of DVD box sets (which would not have been part of the original contract)

I hope they weren't, anyway. When the Three Stooges signed with Columbia in 1934 they signed contracts that were downright draconian and unconscionable. Columbia retained all rights to using the Stooges and their images, in mediums then existing or to be invented. And, in 25 years of making short films for Columbia (top money-makers for most of that time, although not so much toward the end), the Stooges never received a raise in salary.

10. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

Yeah it makes sense that Fox would be the one involved in this. But I wonder... does Warner still get a piece of the royalties if DC is involved?

11. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

You mean it's Polly Benedict's fault??

12. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

If Polly's being too fickle, maybe Fox can hire Andy to smooth-talk her.