What's new

Interesting IB woofer from John at Stryke, and great deal! (1 Viewer)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Here's a link to a run of 15" IB woofers John is doing with Lambda parts and motors.

He's selling them for $199 each, but, if you get 4 or more, they are $99 each! I just finished my IB sub with 4 of the 15" Dayton IB's, wish I had waited around for these!

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Are they really that much better than the dayton's? I just bought 4 dayton IB's last week. Would it be worth it to return them and go with these instead?

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

That's the question. These are premium level drivers, and I think would be a good deal at $199 each, so $100 each seems really cheap. You can see just by looking at the pic that it has the nice cast aluminum basket, instead of the stamped steel basket, etc.

I'm going to post on the IB forum your exact question, and I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks,

Wes

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I have both Dayton DVC15s and the Stryke AV15, and simply put the Stryke driver from appearance, build quality, and from most aspects engineering (thicker aluminum spokes,longer magnet structure, and if the phase plug is setup correctly) should make it a better driver especially the lower FS it has the only knock maybe is the higher VAS for those that want a closet IB.

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
Joe if they were true IB that would be enough. If you are thinking of sealing or porting them in a confined space then it's nowhere near it.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Thanks Rod,
I've been thinking about doing an IB system for a while and this deal on 4 15" woofers really has me going. Does anyone know if these speakers are dual voice coil and if they are 8 Ohm or 4 0hm. Also how would I wire them to my PE 500w amp?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Joey,

I responded to your email a little while ago. The standard coils are 8ohm, however I have 4ohm coils as well that can be used at your request. In your case you'd probably want the four 4ohm coils so you can series/parallel back to 4ohm to run off your amplifier. The 500W should get these going pretty well. You may wish to upgrade to a little more power down the road, but try it out first. If you don't feel you need the extra power then the money could be better spent elsewhere such as for EQ, etc.

As compared to the Dayton, there are some advantages. Obviously is the physical aspect. These are a Lambda woofer, dual stack magnet with the phase plug to aid in cooling, cast basket, rubber edge gasket instead of cork, venting under spider, etc. Parts cost is much higher so you're getting more woofer for your money. They have a little more xmax than the dayton. All in all, more woofer for your money. They will be similar in output and sound to the Daytons. If you already have the dayton it probably wouldn't make sense to upgrade.

John

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
500 watts into an IB quartet looks to be good for ~115 @ 20Hz anechoic. Since there's really no eq boost needed in the low end, there should be no power compression issues with only 125 watts going to each driver.
John...what's the mounting depth?

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Thanks for stopping in, and basically answering a lot of questions. These are really great looking drivers for the $$, and part of me wishes I'd waited on the Daytons, as these look so much cooler! Too one of the big points of an IB is that you don't see anything! Good to know that the sound of my Daytons are comparable.

I hope this thread helps generate a little business for you, I've always found you to be really helpful, even in the smallest questions. Also the ability to get these in a 4ohm driver is very cool.

Wes

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Sorry I missed this thread! How high do these woofers go? I know I can't buy them, but it looks like something to go into my "ideal" speakers. :)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
We haven't seen a FR plot since these are a 'new' driver design, being created with parts John bought from Nick.

These certainly aren't limited to IB use, they would of course be great as dipole woofers.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Thanks Thomas. Maybe I'll explain how the IB woofers could fit into a cool project, but the idea is just so attractive yet impractical for me now that it's probably painful to even think about it. :)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Michael,

These probably shouldn't be used upwards of 200hz or so. They do not have the copper faraday on the pole like the Lambda PL series. Other Lambda woofers can be used much higher in frequency. The original TD15 that Nick did was very smooth on axis up to about 4Khz and off axis to 2khz at 15 degrees. I did have a response curve Nick sent me about 3 years ago somewhere but can't find it.

John

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
When would 4ohm versions be ready for shipping? What would the power handling (Pe) be? I'm assuming the Xmax of 15.5mm is one way?

4 drivers for 400$ is very tempting...

I'm guessing that the shipping price would be about the same for each as it was for the AV-15?
Thanks...
Rob

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Rob,

Power handling on the Lambda drivers Nick rated at 300Wnominal, 500W max, and 1000W transient power. Realistically you wouldn't need more than 300W per driver, but with the venting under the spider and the large aluminum phase plug to act as a heatsink, you'd be able to give them 500W all day. Yes, 15.5mm is one way.

The 4ohm and 8ohm versions are available immediately. I have more supply of 8ohm than 4ohm, but not low on either at the moment. I've been building them as needed and now that my packaging issues are all taken care of they will ship the day after an order is placed.

They are within about 2 lbs of the shipping weight of the AV15's so they are very close. Shipping ranges from $11-18 per woofer depending on where in the country you are.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks