Interesting development regarding the cost of producing special edition DVDs.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwayne, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Found this on the bits:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

That's too bad. Seems like there's always a few greedy people that ruin everything. Mind you, I'm not begrudging anyone the right to get paid for participating in commentaries, but can't they be generous and ask for a nominal fee? I can't imagine that recording a commentary is that taxing!

4. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I imagine as studios wise up (heheh) they will just include 'participation with dvd content' into actors contracts, or something similar.

5. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Wow, we are now on our third separate thread on this.

6. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    I choose to respond to this thread re this subject as it seems to be dealing with SE content generally rather than Arnold's issues. With the uproar over the loss of OAR...it is very curious to me that this isnt getting more attention in these posts. Maybe I finally realized I'm on the wrong forum. I for one value the SE content to the greatest degree in respect to DVDs. That content is what brought me into Laserdiscs...and what has carried me through to DVD. If and when they begin to fall off the discs... I know my interest will wane.

A.T.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

"I for one value the SE content to the greatest degree in respect to DVDs. That content is what brought me into Laserdiscs...and what has carried me through to DVD. If and when they begin to fall off the discs... I know my interest will wane."

So, if extras were eliminated, or cut way back, higher video and audio quality wouldn't keep your interest?

I realize everyone has different interests, but, if I'm lucky, I watch the extras once - it's the movie that counts to me; having the movie in the highest quality.

9. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    This is less a danger than I originally thought. If the "talent" needs a specific amount of money to contribute that will raise the cost of a DVD, they obviously felt no love for the project, therefore, their input would have little value to me. I won't buy that disc, problem solved.

For example,

Tom Cruise has been pressing the flesh and promoting Vanilla Sky like mad. Why? He's proud of it. He has a strong relationship with the director. I expect he'll contribute to the DVD because he cares about the project. It will probably be a valuable contribution.

I would hope the studios would take care of the talent (a gift, a meal, a small fee for their time, something). In the end, the movie matters.

Take care,

Chuck

11. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor