Interesting Conversation About DVD Audio Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,

As you know, I am a big fan of Super Audio but I also work professionally with high resolution PCM formats such as 88.2 khz.

Well I had an interesting phone discussion today and some of the points we discussed may be of further interest and understanding to those of you looking at technical differences in the two formats. There is good news on both sides of the aisle and I wish to use the conversation to promote technical discussion and not yet another format flame war...so I will just keep to some interesting things he said.

I spoke with a friend who works with a major DVD Audio creator. We discussed many things and he raised some interesting points.

1. He believes that transient response is better in DSD than in DVD Audio 24/96. In fact, he says it is clearly better in DSD. He thinks DVD Audio at 24/192 is a very different story and gives the edge to DVDA there in terms of transient response. Transients are the hyper fast attack-sustain-decay of notes that really add to a realistic presentation.

2. DVD Audio can only do 24/96 surround as the current capacity of the format does not have enough room for six channels of 24/192. He understands that HD-DVD is well underway at the DVD Audio group. HD-DVD will allow I believe around 23 GB on disc thereby allowing 24/192 for all six channels.

3. He feels it is really hard to hear watermarking on DVD Audio discs but not some of the encryption schemes on redbook where differences can be "apparent".

4. He believes that the major DVDA powers will not release any stereo only 24/96 titles for the time being as the DVDA group seems centered on surround sound as a primary driver.

5. He feels that redbook CDs days are numbered principally driven by the "ripping" phenomena going on out there. Wired magazine has done an interesting story this month on this.

6. He feels that DVD Audio will continue to improve as time goes on (and says same for DSD) and that the really critical factor for sonics is the original recording and the mastering thereof, more so than the high resolution aspect. In other words, a bad recording still stinks even with fast sampling rates.

7. He believes the next big DVDA title is a collection of 14 tracks from Emmy Lou Harris titled Producer's Cut, due on Feb. 25th. Recorded at 24/96. (This should be a great title)

I just wanted to share this with the Forum and get your comments. I did not edit anything major from our conversation.

[​IMG]

2. Michael St. Clair

A ton of what he says is common knowledge or common sense.

He's out of his tree on the 'redbook going away thing'. A desire of labels to eliminate insecure formats conflicts too much with market realities. The day the labels stop selling CDs is the day the rest of their sales evaporate. And the 'analog hole' will remain forever, so piracy won't go away.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

4. Justin Lane

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

6. Michael St. Clair

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    in effect, "garbage in, garbage out".

hear hear. hence I've always thought the multi-channel aspect, which the DVD-A group are focusing on, is the real selling point of either hi-res format.

yet another stereo remaster, albeit on shiny new hi-res format, isn't going to convert a lot more, both due to cynicism as to whether it's really any better, or for non-audiophiles (such as me) even if it is better I can't really hear the difference, or am not sufficiently moved by such an improvement to go out and spend the dough.

multichannel, on the other hand, is something new. as someone who likes to listen to plain-old stereo CDs through CS5.1, even a plain DTS or DD5.1 mix of something would be an attraction.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Michael St. Clair

The pirates aren't thwarted, there is an analog hole. Pirates don't give a crap about keeping the whole chain digital.

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Michael St. Clair

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

16. Justin Lane

17. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter