Interesting Comments on DVD A's Video Capability

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Bill Hunt, editor of The Digital Bits, has some interesting comments on DVD Audio in yesterday's edition:

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

3. Matt Rowe

Matt Rowe Auditioning

Hands up. How many of you actually sit down to "watch" a CD? therein lies the problem AND the spur to Bill Hunt's comment. And I think that Bill has accurately described many people's thoughts, outside the early adopters. We're talking about a separate experience when dealing with music media (leaving filmed concert footage/videos out of this) and not a new listening pastime as DVD-Audio would somewhat require. On DVD-A,the menuing is cumbersome, the added material interesting for a while, and the huge timeframe needed for DVD-A authoring (look at the release schedule for desirable DVD-A titles vs SACD) is defeatist and will only yield few titles per year (not the ones we REALLY want).
    On the other hand, SACD sticks with the old methods of music listening, offering 'drop in' capability without the unneeded 'extras'. DVD-a is now realizing this and is working backward to correct the hindsight, realizing that people are a moving sort, carrying Walkmans and not dedicated 5.1 systems. We drive in cars outfitted with standard, non-visual CD players and not the latest in surround sound tech. DVD-A is a nice niche market and therefore a viable entity, while SACD caters to the masses with our tendencies to enjoy music in a variety of situation, most of which is away from our home stereos.
    Oh man, now I've done it. The store is now open for debate.
    [​IMG]
    Matt Rowe

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All the video extras that Bill Hunt describes would be nice, but I buy music discs to listen to music. I doubt I would spend a lot of time watching the video extras. I'd probably watch them once and that would be it. As it is, I almost exclusively play DVD-Audio discs with the TV turned off. At least I do with the discs that are user friendly.

5. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

The whole idea of media 'convergence' is one that works differently in reality than in theory. We're seeing this with cell phones too. Yes, it is possible to have a cell phone that doubles as a personal digital assistant that triples as a game boy that quadruples as a global positioning system navigator,

but I just want to make and receive phone calls without having to worry about getting stuck in "gameboy" mode or "GPS" mode.

The Swiss-army knife approach to products is popular among techies, but most people want the most-common use case to be fast and easy.

The DVD specifications are very loose, which allows for experimentation, but I think that a de facto standard for authoring will emerge in time. Elegant designs eventually win out over cumbersome or cluttered designs.

-JNS

6. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Well, if it's a band I really like, then I would be happy to get any extras that are included. Maybe you won't sit down and watch them every time you play the disc, but that doesn't mean you won't ever have any interest in them.

And besides, even if you aren't interested in this type of content, I really don't see it as a disadvantage. I mean, since when is extra flexibility a bad thing? At least the option is there with DVD-A.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Oh jeez! That guy seems like he's thinking up any flimsy reason he can to make dvd-a look bad. Big fat deal--so there are some videos on the disc! I like visually-oriented things so if a video is entertaining, I WILL watch it again. Case in point: the three videos w/5.1 sound on Linkin Park's "Reanimation" dvd-audio. But a video I won't be watching again? The one on Linda Ronstadt's "What's New" disc: it's boring and consists mostly of her staring into the camera while.....stuff.....happens behind her. Zzzzzzz. And the two channel sound, sounds like a FM broadcast. And the photo section sucks--just a bunch of blah promotional shots. That Yes disc so far has the only artist bio that I have revisited several times. And the artist photos--for once--are high resolution and interestingly setup.
    But to be honest, if this is what is holding up dvd-audio's title introductions, PLEASE stop putting videos on them!
    And make the disc's music playable without turning on the TV--that is a needless hassle. Sure, a menu for the visual extras is needed but why for the darn AUDIO section?! And what about automotive use?
    In the end though, a dvd-audio playable just like a CD is what I prefer.
    LJ

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

What sonic benefit will be had while listening to hi-res music through a walkman? I find that hi-res music really shines with the right equipment: namely a good receiver or pre/pro, a good player, and lastly most importantly, GOOD QUALITY SPEAKERS. I guess if the disc were hybrid you could access the CD layer but that's about it.

Reg

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Bill Hunt seems to be wishing for a DVD-V disc that, along with all the DVD-V style content, just happens to include a DVD-A version of the album. I don't know if everything he wishes for could even fit on one disc, but it sounds like all the video stuff he wants would require more space than the high resolution audio, and if that's the case then it really could be called a DVD-V disc that just happens to include DVD-A. I think his perspective is all wrong.

10. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

Wayne's post is right on. How could you possibly get everything Bill mentions onto one DVD-A and have an MLP track? Maybe HD-DVD will be capable of this, but right now, isn't the point that more space on the disc is used for the music? Obviously, it's possible to fit quite a bit of music on a DVD-A; The Last Waltz features more than two hours of music in advanced resolution surround and stereo, plus the DD 5.1 track. But I don't think you could do this and include the movie as well.

And why the complaining that you need a TV to listen to a DVD-A? Of the 10 DVD-A titles that I own, only two (Toy Matinee and A Night at the Opera, both DTS titles) require me to select a track. All the others start playing the MLP surround track after a short load time. Doesn't take much longer than the load time on my SACD player.

Edited to add: I guess you do have to use the menu if you prefer the stereo track. That affects me on only one DVD-A, but I also realize there are purists that rarely listen to the surround track.

NP: Beck: Sea Change(SACD)

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    What a frickin' pie-in-the-sky "everything and the kitchen sink" fantasy from good ol' Bill Hunt. His heart beats DVD-Video, I don't think he understands Audio. Completely out of touch with the mission of the format.
    Hey Bill: All the DVD-A is supposed to deliver is the album in highest resolution available. Hopefully in Multichannel as well as 192/24 stereo. That's it. See the Barenaked Ladies "Maroon" for an example.

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

13. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

What I like about Fleetwood Mac's Rumours release on DVD-A, apart from the surround mix and better quality 2-channel sound than CD, is the band members commenting on each track. The menus are quite simple, and only still pictures are used, but the extra effort that went into getting the band members to say what they were thinking while recording was quite enlightening to me. I'd be happy with advanced resolution tracks, surround tracks, some still pictures of the recording situations (Stevie Nicks then rather than now), the lyrics, and voice over commentary.

14. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I too would like to point out that you don't need a video display to play most discs. You have to when you're using the DVD-V tracks, but not the MLP, at least on any of the discs I have. I think I only have one disc that won't let me change between multichannel and stereo on the fly, and that's at the discretion of the album producer, not a fault of the format.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

when i buy music, i wanna listen to it. not watch it.

having any video-based features would be a nice "bells & whistles" kind of thing, but i would not consider it a necessity.