Interesting Article Regarding Wide-screen DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy B A, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

seems like a fairly honest look at the current market situation

3. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

A pretty good article, I thought.
    It presents both sides, though has a bias towards widescreen... but hey, thats good, right? [​IMG]
    In any case, I like how, unlike most articles of the ilk, its tries to explain whats going on to the non-enthusiast... not just 'preaching to the choir.'

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Nice article [​IMG] Reassuring, too.

6. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Good article for non-HT people - a little boring for HT owners that are widescreen people already.

Thanks - it was well written.

7. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

I realize that this is preaching to the choir, but I can't help but think that we're going to hear the same caterwauling from the J6P crowd in 2006 when they go buy that widescreen digital TV, and all their P&S DVDs have gray bars on the sides.
    I just love it when the ignorant start to dictate the market. [​IMG] (VHS vs. Betamax, anyone?)
    Forgive the rant. It was a rather well-written article.

8. John Bonar

John Bonar Extra

Sony was the ignorant party in the VHS/Betamax war. They were soundly killed by good business strategy by, I believe, JVC.

9. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

My apologies; I stand corrected.

Still, I'm of the opinion that the consumer will generally get what they ask for, in the end. If Sony failed to educate the consumer (a.k.a. marketing) then Sony was at fault, but the consumer (by no fault of their own) was still ignorant.

Please note that "ignorant" simply means uninformed, not to be confused with "stupid."

Getting back OT, it's time that someone (studios, retailers) took the lead to educate J6P on the merits of OAR before a similar mistake is made.

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

"As the audience for DVDs gets broader, I believe there will be even more of a demand for the pan-and-scan format," Sooter said.
    And _I_ believe Sooter's off her rocker [​IMG]
    Widescreen's too deeply seated to simply be tossed aside. The people who made DVD a viable home video format are mostly hardcore WS enthusiasts. We're the ones who buy, not rent, movies. We're the ones who don't think twice about picking up 3-4 discs a week sometimes. Widescreen isn't going anywhere.

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

13. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Nicely written article, except for the reference to DVD as "digital video disc", when the writer should have done enough research to know that it should be "Digital Versatile Disc". But that's a little nit-picky on my part, I suppose.

14. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

And another thing, buying a widescreen set will not save J6P from his dreaded black bars (as the article implies) as movies with ARs wider than 1.85:1 will still have bars on top and at the bottom.

15. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Ok, I read the article as biasing slightly towards pan and scan, will have to re-read it. If it was an effort designed to educate consumers to the merits of Widescreen, or OAR, it was pretty poorly done.

I did like the solution "don't like the black bars... get a widescreen TV". Unfortunately the very same people who complaining about the movie not taking the full screen on a 4:3 display will likely complain about the local news not filling the full screen of their 16:9 display.

The article was, over all fair, if simplified.

16. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

"I think this thread belongs in the Software forum."

I don't know if this is strictly a software discusion as equipment is mentioned also.

However that was a very rude reply even if this was put in the wrong section.

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I hate that the article concludes with the idea that the FCC has "mandated" the conversion to widescreen by 2006.
    As I posted two month ago in this post in the "Fox goes Pan & Scan" thread, we CANNOT depend on the FCC because it is NOT a mandate.
    I quote the actual Act that Congress passed and point up the loopholes in this:

18. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

The 2006 "deadline" only applies to digital TV, not widescreen HD. There is no law that says anyone has to broadcast anything in HD (widescreen). And since 4:3 480p is digital, then that's all most of it will be.