What's new

Interesting Article on Stones SACD Release (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks for posting the link. Much appreciated. I love a couple parts of this article, in particular.
“We were determined to transfer this material only once and go to three formats with it,” says Klein. “We wanted to go to half-inch, 30 ips analog tape. Then there was the PCM world, which we knew how to do. And then there was this DSD thing, which I'd heard about. We set up a chain where we could listen to all three. We played the analog against the original master as it was transferring, and it sounded okay; the PCM was better. The DSD button didn't work, because I didn't hear any difference between the source and the DSD! Then, I finally got it. The DSD sounded like it didn't work because it was exactly like the master.”
Lee, you must be eating this part up! ;)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
We played the analog against the original master as it was transferring, and it sounded okay;
That looks backwards....shouldn't the analog playback sound the best?
AND: what form of PCM were they using (obviously, the compact disc's 44.1kHz/16bit format will be outclassed by DSD).
LJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance, sure, bring up the useless details. ;) Seriously, they are good questions. I wonder if they were using good analog equipment. Perhaps Lee could comment. As for PCM, I would hope they made the master at least at 24/96 and preferably 24/192. Though it could not be used for commercial release, I wonder how a 24/384 PCM master would compare to the DSD master.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
All I know is that both Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed now sound state-of-the-art on SACD.

A great job was done on these releases and they deserve our thanks.
I'm glad the Stones catalog was put on SACD.

That's the thing about SACD. If your going to do a whole catalog of a group, say The Beatles, it would be better to have them on SACD as it's much easier to deal with. It just feels more comfortable because it's like putting on a cd.

If they did a whole catalog in DVDA, it would be a pain in the ass switching from disc to disc.

DVDA is fine with one album but I feel when doing many albums (like The Stones) SACD is the winner.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, ironically, I just listened to the Beggars Banquet SACD and am now listening to Let it Bleed. They are great. I also have Metamorphosis, Flowers, and Hot Rocks 1964-1971 on SACD and am very impressed with them as well. They blow my old ABKCO CDs of Hot Rocks out of the water.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
How does the remastered Stones CD's sound compared to the SACD version?
Collapsed, compressed but in many ways better than the earlier CD version of the same albums I have which were uniformly terrible.
Lance, if you hear the Stones in Super Audio, you will want an SACD player, pure and simple. Just wait and get the new Philips player of the $200 Sony. It's a step change over redbook CD.
:)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If your going to do a whole catalog of a group, say The Beatles, it would be better to have them on SACD as it's much easier to deal with. It just feels more comfortable because it's like putting on a cd.
Agree but there are real pro audio reasons as well. With the Sony Super Bit Mapping downcoversions to other formats from DSD are a lot easier so archiving is a real strength of the format.
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance, I agree with Lee wholeheartedly regarding the CD layers versus the SACD layers on the Stones discs. The CD layers are far, far better than the original ABKCO CDs. However, the SACD layers are even better. SACD is the way to go with the Stones, unless you have immaculate copies of the original LPs. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,

In the new issue of HiFi News, Ken Kessler say the new CDs even beat the rare UK LP versions he has. He has compared all of the possible releases.

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks