What's new

Interesting Article on Record Industry Soundscan Scam.... (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
http://www.nypost.com/business/63801.htm
It looks like certain labels are sending out free copies of discs to independent stores, who in turn help run up the Soundscan numbers while the labels do not make a dime. Talk about the music indstry shooting itself in the foot. Send out free copies just to say you have the #1 album or increase radio play then in the next breath complain about lost sales.
J

Dave Isham

Grip
Wow, and sales are still down despite inflating the sales figures...

The first incident I was aware of started in 1992 when Polygram distributed free cassette singles of Billy Ray Cyrus' Achy Breaky Heart to numerous retail outlets.

The units were scanned before given to customers 'free w/ any purchase..." ...and Billy Ray was number 1

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Wow, and sales are still down despite inflating the sales figures...
I am not sure how the record company defines sales. I am thinking they are refering to profit, but you have to imagine the overall number of CDs has declined as well.

Remember these are labels that will run adds about pirating eating away artists profits, and then do the same themself by giving away free music to boost sales where once again the artist receives zero compnesation.

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
And typically the artists don't get a dime, as these are considered 'promotional copies' and are royalty-free.
Remember kids, don't steal music because it hurts the artists...and that is the RIAA's job!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks