What's new

Interesting Article on Blu-Ray sales Rising (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The Hollywood Reporter website has an interesting Article on the sudden rise of Blu-Ray disc sales now that the format war is over. Here is a link:

With HD DVD out, Blu-ray sales on the rise

Here is a quote:
This article paints a much brighter picture of the future of Blu-Ray than the recent Doom and Gloom posts around here would have you believe.

The Last paragraph has a major error on it tho.... Makes me wonder about their fact checking.

Adam_R

Second Unit
good news for hd movie enthusiasts!

$ talks, especially to the studios who are holding the big movies!!!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This article was already posted and discussed in the **Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread.

Does it really warrant another thread?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Patrick, Sorry if this is a re-post but I had to stop reading some of the really large threads due to the constant doom and gloom posts. So I didn't know it was already posted.

Besides this article isn't really about studio support. It is about BD sales. So I think that does deserve a different thread.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Only time will tell, but this quote says a lot:

I don't think that is a "niche"

And Crawdaddy, Only Shiny, Happy thoughts allowed in this thread. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All joking aside, it appears that BRD pricing is coming down some, at least as far as Sony and Warner are concerned with both new and catalog titles. Checkout the MSRP for the releases below. Hopefully, this will become a trend with BR software.

DVD Times - The Bucket List (US BD) in May

DVD Times - Untraceable (US BD) in May - Artwork added

DVD Times - Youth Without Youth (US BD) in May - Artwork added

DVD Times - A Passage to India (US BD) in April - Artwork added

DVD Times - Anger Management (US BD) in May

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I would suggest that two of those titles (1 WB, 1 Sony) are still on the high side; at least for me. The three titles (all from Sony) that feature an SRP of under $30.00 are quite welcome though.

- Walter.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Good news for BD.

But why don't they say how many titles they sold in an absolute sense? Why is the number of BR sales only given as a part of the DVD sales? Is this a new market figure?
He could have published the actual sales, IMO, or are those figures not available?

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter,
The title "The Bucket List" is still playing in theaters and I think the $35.99 is reasonable compared to the SD DVD release of the same film with its 28.98 MRSP. At this time, we can't expect the BRD to be priced the same or similar to the SD DVD for films that are still on the studio's books as new productions. You're getting better presentations of the film on BR.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I wasn't thinking of those prices in relation to SD SRP values, just in terms of a 'magic' $30.00 price point for me; but I see your point.

- Walter.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I gotta figure those $29.98 MSRPs might translate to $19.99 in store...maybe even cheaper on release week. Maybe that should be "I gotta hope... :)

Seems like good news to me.

========================

And, BTW, I'm all for the "sunshine and happiness" stance of this thread! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, the pricing for those newly announced titles look solid to me given the context. I'll probably toss in a $ vote for classic catalog and pick up Passage to India myself. :D

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And have you seen the prices on next week's wave of Blu-ray releases from Echo Bridge?

$9.95 @ amazon, $12.99 @ Best Buy and $12.99 @ Circuit City. Titles such as: Artie Lange's Beer League, Blackbeard, Category 7: End of the World, 10.5 Apocalypse: Complete Series, The Last Sentinel, Curse of King Tut's Tomb: Complete Series. Again, these might NOT be much-desired, high-profile titles...but it's also nice to see a "budget line" of discs released to provide perspective for those "A-list titles."

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I thought I read the first week( or was it 5 days?) units sold for 'No Country...' were in the range of 685,000 giving the Bd around 68,000. Going on the assumption these figures were accurate, in 'absolute' terms the dvd sales aren't that spectacular( especially for a crime/thriller that just won Best Picture and seemed to be fairly popular with 25-35 males among others). On the other hand, I think it's good for anyone that wants to see HDMs thrive, that the ratio is 10% and not 3 or 5%. Studios are simply not going to stop releasing NEW movies on disc-and hopefully 10% ( and going up?) would be incentive for the studios to go with a Bd release on more borderline/arthouse/limited appeal new releases. Catalog will still be a different story but hopefully the rising tide will raise all the boats, not just the shiny new ones.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'd say 68,000 units places the format well ahead of laserdisc, which is just fine with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.