Interesting article in Stereophile....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithR, Apr 16, 2002.

1. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

A little bitty 25w tube amp driving the supposedly "tough to drive" Paradigm Studio 20s to enormous levels....
    Also interesting was that the reviewer thought the 20s were better than the 100s with better "coherancy and imaging"...of course all of those in the floorstander vs. monitor thread my disagree....[​IMG]
    Oh wait, a monitor can't possibly sound better than a floorstander in the same line!

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Opinions are like Bung Holes... Everybody's got one...
    (_o_)

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

the sky is falling the sky is falling, everybody with floorstander do you here, STEREOPHILE, YES, STEREOPHILE thought that a moniter Paradigm sounded better than the floorstander, to all floorstander owners, go sell your speakers immediately, everything stereophile says is gospal, and even though you may own another brand of floorstanders, the pricipal is the same, sell the freaking floor standers. I got an idea, for the hardware sale page, instead of just having the Subwoofer sale section, add a "floorstanders for sale" section, since there will now be a mass exodus to sell the speakers.

Btw, don't ever trust your own ears, always take magazines opinions as fact, and apply all of their principals.

this is all in TIC (sort of)

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Hmmm, I don't know Brett, that hole is lookin a little stretched to me, hahaha, JJ [​IMG]
    Seriously though, I take every magazine review of ANYTHING with a grain of salt, cuz all that review reflects is the opinion of the reviewer, unless there it is a lab test and is repeatable with the same results over and over again.

5. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Reviews are reviews, I agree. But I more trust a well respected reviewer like Robert Deutch (sp?) than a bunch of people on these forums that go for the "hottest" product, which always is the "best they have heard" or that is "kills x or y speaker" or "i was blown away", etc. There is a mob mentality on forums which discredits the entire concept of the "audition." Paradigm and B&W should thank this board, just like SF should thank audioasylum. And this reviewer has auditioned for long times in his home hundreds of products, which most on this and other boards can't say the same for. Most on this forum I would venture audition speakers for max 30 minutes a time, then make a decision. Reviewers have the same piece at home for 3 months or longer. It took guts to write that comment as far as I am concerned on a product that costs 1/3 the price.

My point still to this day is that there are good monitors and floorstanders, but one design insn't inherantly better than the other, and to automatically think a floorstander is better is hogwash.

Also lays the irony in that when a good review comes out for a likeable product on a board, it gets tons of press (SVS, Outlaw for instance) as a confirmation of how good the product is. You can't have it both ways.

And as far as the question of test results---you can have 2 speakers with equal specs that sound entirely different. How do you test warmth, imaging, depth, etc. Please clue me in.

I will admit reviewers have there bias, and TAS had an excellent article on the subject, where even Jon Valin himself says the "absolute sound" doesn't exist. However, reviews often effect an individual's ideas for what to audition, and thus they are important.

6. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

"The 'absolute sound' doesn't exist"? What does that mean? If the goal of hi-fi is to reproduce the exact same sounds as were produced in the studio by real instruments and voices, isn't that the "absolute sound" we're striving for? I might just be misunderstanding the meaning/context.

Sorry, OT.

Back on topic, I haven't been able to integrate any monitor speakers with my sub to the point of preferring them over my floorstanders. That's my main beef with monitors vs. floorstanders. Maybe I just haven't found the right monitor-sub combo? Who knows.

7. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I would take the opinion of a large group of well meaning audio enthusiasts any day over one professional reviewer who is usually reviewing a product advertised in his magazine.

8. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Russell,

Or a large group of enthusiasts who recommend what they actually bought? Howe is that less biased?

9. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I agree that we tend to recommend too much what we've actually bought or had experience with. But I don't think we can trust most magazine reviewers any more than we trust each other. The only person you can really trust is yourself.

10. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Both are biased except the people on the internet forum will tell you(usually) up front while the pro reviewer will swear up and down that the freebies, extreme discounts etc.. that they receive from manufaturers have no influence on them and they wouldn't hesitate to criticize a piece of equipment made by their bestest buddy.

11. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Bhagi hit that nail on the head.

Although I hate to be so jaded that I would never give a guy credit for simply expressing an honest opinion free of commercial considerations. In fact I think the review of the Thiel CS1.6 in the April/May TAS is refreshing as well precisely because the reviewer takes a chance and breaks through traditional notions of price/quality thresholds in tower design. He thinks the $5K quality 'elbow' (a notion to which KeithR also referred in previous thread discussions) has been shattered by Thiel. Now $2390/pr. isn't budget territory but at least the cost of 'Sonic Paradise' has been cut in half. Again...one man's opinion.

Keith,

I'm not aware of anyone saying that NO ONE has ever heard or preferred a monitor over a tower within the same line. I'm sure there are JBL S38 Studio owners who prefer their speakers to any JBL tower they might have auditioned. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even Mr. Deutch(sic). And you are absolutely right about testing limitations: there is no OBJECTIVE test for "warmth, imaging, depth, etc." These are entirely SUBJECTIVE attributes which is why, like the Israelis and Palestinians, there is no settlement to this discussion anywhere in sight.