Interesting article from Stereophile's archives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Saurav, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?23 Of course, everyone who's read the debate threads knows which side I stand on, so another reason to not read the above article might be if you're the kind of person who knows right from wrong and doesn't like to examine other peoples' opinions [​IMG]
    Enjoy, or otherwise...

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Oh man!
    And the dude says he's an engineer too.
    Does music, or better yet, a playback medium, have "soul"? He attempts to say the CDs don't.
    IMO, lps *may* sound better *sometimes*, depending on your setup, and how the particular lp vs CD was mastered, but in most cases, I'll take the convenience of digital over analog anytime.
    But then again, with DVD-A and SACD coming, it *appears* as though we will be able to have our cake and eat it too!
    What will the "golden ears" complain about then??
    Hey quick side note. Was cruising Borders and found some British hi fi mags. Flipped through 1 or 2. A lot like typical Stereophile IMO.
    Found one article about "cryogenic treatment" of cables for sound. They try to say that at cryogenic temperatures, that the "imperfect" Cu structure present in cables (due to quenching during manufacturing) "rearranges" itself at low temperature to give you better sound.
    Anyone who knows anything about solid state physics know that this is BS so stinky as to make oneself physically ill. (Grain growth and recrystallization can *only* occur at higher temperatures, where the energy is available for diffusion to occur.) And the dude writing about it worked at EMS or ESS labs or something! Truly amazing... I couldn't actually believe that this was being put forth as "science" or "truth."
    ------------------

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Saurav- What are y'all doing up this late?!?! [​IMG]
    Here's what I say, if you have enough bits, and bytes, and if your sampling frequency is high enough, and if your encoding algorythm is accurate enough, you can digitize a "soul." (Or, at least get close enough that you wouldn't notice or care!)
    ------------------

5. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

Hi Saurav. Speaking of Stereophile articles, are you the same Saurav that Jonathan Scull mentioned and quoted in his “Fine Tunes” article on page 130 of the August, 2001, issue? The article was about the use of laser pointers in lining up speakers. If that is you, I guess you’re pretty famous. BTW, thanks for helping me out in a previous HTF thread about high current amplifiers. Sorry to run off topic.
    Regards,
    Andy

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

What!!!??? I remember getting an email from someone asking me if he could quote me on the laser pointer thing, but I had no idea it was for a Stereophile article!!! Now I have to find a copy of this issue somewhere.
    Man, you just made my day, if this is true [​IMG] And yes, it's quite possible I'm the same Saurav. Oboyoboyoboyoboyoboy!!!
    And, you're welcome [​IMG]

7. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

Saurav, to help you be certain if you are the one Jonathan Scull quoted, here are some direct quotes from his August, 2001, Stereophile article I mentioned above:
    (Jonathan Scull) “According to Asylum poster Saurav, … (Saurav quote) ‘You must roll the laser pointer on a flat surface and see the path traced by the spot on the wall.’ … ‘The solution is to tape the pointer to something flat - I used a cassette tape!’ … (Jonathan Scull) “Lifetime membership in the Fine Tunes Club, Saurav!”
    Mr. Scull quoted you (or another Saurav) much more than I typed here, but hopefully this should be enough to confirm if it is you he quoted. He gave you (or another Saurav) about 3 column inches.
    If it is you, please let us know, and way to go Saurav! [​IMG]
    Andy

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Yes, that would definitely be me. Oh man, now I have to get a copy! [​IMG]

9. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Dude,
    I need your autograph on my copy [​IMG] I'll send it to you!
    Congrats, pretty cool to get quoted in a national publication.
    Jeremy

10. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

Saurav, congratulations! I just noticed in the August, 2001, Stereophile table of contents, it refers to the article with, “…some advice from a lifetime Fine Tunes member.” That’s you!
    If you’re in a hurry to see the complete article, I will be happy to scan the article and email it to you (using the email address you have listed in your profile) if you wish. Just let me know.
    BTW – Barnes and Noble always keeps a good stock of Stereophile magazines, so you may want to check with them first if you have one nearby you.

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I went to a Copperfields which is closer to me than B&N, but they didn't have it. I've already decided that I'm dropping B&N after work, so thanks for the offer to scan it, but I don't think I'll need that.
    You know, I think this is the first time anyone asked for my autograph, whether seriously or in jest. Thanks [​IMG]
    Edit: The funniest thing is, it's not like I was quoted saying anything original - it's an idea that I got from an online forum, quite possibly HTF.
    [Edited last by Saurav on July 25, 2001 at 06:32 PM]