Interesting and ANNOYING exchange at Circuit City re: WS Spidey...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Mack, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Y'all!
    I picked up Spidey for a good price, $14.99 at CC yesterday, I went to the counter and the saleswoman said, "Oooh, it's good you got this now, we are almost out."
    I said, "Really?"
    She said "Yeah, we sold out of all the FULLSCREEN copies this morning."
    I said, "Yeah, because most people don't know any better."
    and she said, "Oh, you like WIDESCREEN?!?!?!?" as if I had comiited some kind of sin, then said "Or do you have 1 of those Widescreen sets?"
    I said, "Yes to both..."
    She shrugged and went "Hmmm..."
    Now here's a chance for an employee of a MAJOR chain that has BIG, EXPENSIVE widescreen sets for sale to perhaps educate some people and be more positive about OAR when instead she looks at me like I'm from MARS because I want the WS version. Since obviously the FULLSCREEN version is selling PRETTY well, I wonder if she might have inadvertently had any influence in making ignorant people buy the FS version.
    I can just see it... "You want the WS version? Do you have a WS set? No. Well you want to get the FULLSCEEN version or else you will get those black bars chopping off the Top and Bottom of the picture..."
    And some bewildered soccer mom picking this up for her kid, saying, "Oh wow. Thanx!!!" and then buying the FS version!
    ARGHHH!!!!!!!!
    It will be intersting to see how close the sales figures on this title as well as ET and Clones will be re: WS vs. FS.
    The end of OAR as a GIVEN is near, I fear!
    [​IMG] D

2. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

True, Bren...
    I'm just worried because eventually there will be a title where the FS version outsells the WS, and then some suit will say, "SEE! I told you more people want Fullscreen!" and then more back catalog will be released in Fullscreen since they will figure why bother making 2 versions.
    Will FS Spidey be the winner? ALOT of kids are getting this disc and their parents might not care about OAR!
    [​IMG] D

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

When widescreen sets become the norm rather than the exception (and that day is not that far off), then people will see the light...and they'll be pissed that they are getting black bars on the side of their fullscreen DVD's. I can't wait for that day!

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Evan - wishful thinking, but they will most likely discover the stretch mode and forget all about the side bars.

6. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

You'd be surprised guys. With few titles as exceptions, Widescreen over "Full"screen at least 60/40 and, with Spidey, 3 to 1 at my store. Also, 8 to 1 DVD to VHS.

Matt

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Again, this is why the term "Fullscreen" must STOP being used!

8. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    Of course this exchange couldn't have happened in the UK where there is NO 4:3 version available to my knowledge.
    You have my sympathies [​IMG]

9. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Not every Circuit City is like this. Circuit City in Springfield, MA, where I work, will do our best to not allow you to buy a FS version. Only if you insist on FS will we give up! [​IMG]

10. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

On my widescreen set, I've got DVD set to "FULL" which expects an anamorphic image from the DVD player. On non-anamorphic DVDs or 1.33 source, I need to change that aspect. The odds are that most people won't, they'll just watch 1.33 material merrily, though it's stretched to 1.77.

Also, the fullscreen people will then be seeking 1.77 transfers of 1.33, 1.66, 1.85, and 2.35 films.

12. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

13. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Speaking of this. I was reading some new issues of some home theater magazines this past weekend and one of them had an add for Spiderman and had a big picture of the fullscreen dvd on it!?!?!?! [​IMG] Why on earth would a home theater magazine be promoting full screen dvds?!?! I wish I could remember which one it was. It was either Sound & Vision,Home Theater Magazine or Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.

14. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

The worst thing about Spiderman is the fact that is says Fullscreen Special Edition on the top like it is somehting to be sought out.

I was in my local grocery store Friday (Harris Teeter for those in the southeast) and they had end cap displays stocked with only Spiderman Fullscreen DVD's. I looked for Widescreen but there were none to be found.

15. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Well at least she knew enough about widescreen sets to understand the benefits of anamorphic enhancement.

16. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I think J6P will be just as ignorant about stretch modes on their TV's as they are about fullscreen vs. widescreen. That's why they are getting fullscreen in the first place, to minimize hassle and to get a full picture. Do you honestly think that when the time comes and they eventually get a 16x9 display that they will take the time necessary to find out why the picture isn't filling the screen and take the appropriate action to correct it? I highly doubt it. I think they would just accept the 4x3 display as normal and go on with their merry lives...ignoring why it appears like that. Just like they are doing now with OAR disks on 4x3 displays.

J6P wants convenience. They don't calibrate their TV's, they don't want widescreen, etc. Not because they couldn't use the benefits, but because they are too lazy to figure out why OAR is better. That same laziness will infiltrate their thinking down the road when Hi-Def becomes accepted and widescreen is where it's at.

I have very little faith in the average american consumer if we are 5 years into the release of DVD and there is still a backlash against OAR in this country.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

18. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

I bought my copy of LotR from a big supermarket chain; all they carried was the widescreen version.
    There is hope yet.
    RD

19. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale

20. Michael St. Clair

Most sets have made it really easy to fill the 16:9 screen, and some sets default that way. I'll wager that soon most sets have a big 'fill screen' button right there on the remote that toggles through all the stretch/zoom modes.

Typical consumers figure out picture-in-picture when they are motivated; don't fool yourself into thinking they won't fill a 16:9 screen.