What's new

Interested parties for a meet in Orange County/LA Area (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
John and all youz-guyz with significant others. Feel free to bring'em along. I'm sure they can find something to do.
Just let me know ahead of time.
Peace Out~:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sure! Could you get to me in West LA or do you need me to swing back to WH to get you?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Cool! We're on. David T. and I did a similar thing for Brian W.'s meet a few months ago. Just drop me an email or PM and we'll work out the details.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hey!!

Can I come??

Anybody need a video calibration? If we can get a few together (enough to pay my airfare) I'd be there. I could also give a short example of how to do some DIY video tweaking.

Greg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Guys, take Greg up on his offer! He has apprenticed under the great Michael TLV (who just did my set last month). I cannot recommend their work enough.
Also, I had the pleasure of meeting Greg (briefly) at the HTF Hard Rock Cafe dinner and he is a great guy. His presence would be awesome at this meet (and Ron, you could have him do your set, if you want to see what ISF'ing can do you can swing by any time). :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
BTW, Greg, if you come in February, by that time I will have logged several hundred hours since Michael did my set and I read that sometimes calibration (grey scale) drifts after a period of 500-1000 hours (I think I read this on keohi). I might be after your services to check and make sure the temps are still reasonable.

Cheers!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Gregg and Jonathan, love to have you both join in.
Here is the basic layout of The Green Room.
GreenRoom1.jpg

Theater Seating is Green

Speaker locations are Blue
Temp. Seating is yellow
TV is Gray
As you can see the extra two seats in yellow are off to the side, which is not the best, but it works. I'd take one of those seats, but someone else would have to take the other, if we end up with 9 people.
Gregg, my Mits has never been ISF'd, just the tweaking I've done myself. Depending on the cost of the ISF and getting you out here, I'd love to do it. I've got 2 more payments to make before my 1 year no intrest deal is done on my TV so my HT budget is low until the TV is paid off.
BTW, I've never had anyone else involved in this hobby in the Green Room before. So, what does that mean you ask. I will be looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas, suggestions and tweaks from all you HT pros:)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I would definately be interested in having Greg calibrate my set. Like Ron, I have done several tweaks myself, but have not had it professionally done.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Again, I can't recommend ISF'ing enough. I too did tweaks as well, but there's nothing that really makes your set shine like accurate grey scale.

Of course, this will vary depending on how close your set was out of the box. My PT-47 was flat out horrible...

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I think my picture is very good right now. It would be interesting to see what a professional calibration would do for it.

I have a TW40x81, and so far have done: Electrical and Mechanical focus, Disable SVM, Convergence and Geometry via the 64 point service menu using external alignment grids, and general settings using AVIA.

About the only thing that hasn't been touched is the Greyscale. Would this item alone be worth the professional calibration? I have no idea how close my set is to ideal Greyscale, since I have never seen the ideal.

P.S. My apologies to Ron for taking this thread way off topic!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about Greg, but Michael had different tiered pricing depending on what you want done. The plain vanilla gray scale was cheaper than the full calibration, with the focus, color, etc. Greg might be able to help here with his pricing.

Although I had done some focus on my set, Michael proved immensely better at it that I was, so that's something you might want to consider. Of course if you think you did a good enough job on the stuff you did, you can always ask Greg if he can just do the gray scale--again perhaps Greg can fill us in here on his pricing.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
P.S. My apologies to Ron for taking this thread way off topic!
I'll let it slide this time. If it happens again, when you come over for the meet, I'm gonna put you in time-out like I do with my daugher:laugh:
I've done most of what you have done Jeff except for the manual focus and I need to adjust my overscan still. I have not touched the grey scale either. I've gotten lazy on finishing up the tweaking. Just been enjoying movies for awhile and working on the front patio I'm building.
Alot depends on priceing as I am not really able to put major funds into ISF'ing by the time the meet rolls around. But, that could change. Hopefull, Gregg will wander back in here and give us the low-down on his pricing and plane flight.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys!!

Just reading up on the thread...

Calibration pricing starts at $175 for a basic gray scale, and up to $550 for a full meal deal, which would include 2 grey scales (DVD and HD), and a bunch of other stuff. If there is a group I will give some special services such as duvetyne lining etc. Or I could show everybody how to do this at Ron's house including how to make a lense hood. We could have a fun time!!

Depending on the number of calibrations done, I would need air fare covered, and a place to sleep at nite (any spare couch would be fine by me).

I really enjoy doing this and money is secondary to enjoying myself.

Gregg

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
PS: here is a link to a calibration thread on some Toshiba sets I did in Halifax about one month ago:
Link Removed
Gregg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have a futon downstairs that would be available.

Of course I live in West LA - so that means my 2BR/2BA apartment is probably dinky compared to what you're used to seeing, but there's only my roommate and me, so space isn't really an issue. If you do get a tour organized you are more than welcome to stay at my place (and I live 7 miles from LAX).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
1. Jason Merrick
2. John Gordon
3. Tom Young
4. Robert R.
5. Jeff Cooper
6. Carlo Medina
7. Myself
8. Joanthan
9. Gregg(?)
Ok, here is the final list. Unfortunatly I cannot take on anymore. If things change I will update the list. After the holidays, I'll put together an email containing my phone numbers, address and any other important info.
As for getting Gregg here to ISF. I just got off the phone with him and I am going to start a fresh thread over in the TV/Projection area that we can keep going. This way it will remain independent of this thread and make it easier to track and keep updated.
Although I am getting a bit worried. My wife is now getting excited and thinking up food ideas and stuff :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.