Interested in making my own cables. Where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

Are there online resources for purchasing bulk cable, connectors, cripping tools, A/C plugs, etc? Don't want to make extremely high-end stuff buy not crap either. Thanks for any help.

Gregg

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

3. Gregg Hart

Thanks Kevin. I will begin looking at your links. Appreciate the help.

Gregg

4. Gregg Hart

I did some extensive reading into the DIY site mentioned above and into the Canare cable(s) and connectors.

Is this the best stuff out there? I mean what level of video and audio quality would this provide compared to some of the AudioQuest or Kimber interconnects and video cables? Is this Canare stuff really equivalent to high-end retail stuff that costs much more?

I currently have 6 pair of Monster Cable Reference 2 interconnects that I paid $100/pair for. Would this Canare match/exceed the Ref 2's?

If so then I am sold on this. Any other suggestions people might have would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Gregg

5. Charles L.

Charles L. Agent

Robert A Fowkes wired his HT with canare so he could give his opinion on quality, pros and cons, etc.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Gregg: Canare and Belden sell to the broadcast and production studio industry. It's what is often used to master your movies and music.

When "Secrets of Home Theater" managed to borrow some expensive video analysis equipment to do their Progressive Scan DVD player face-off, they tried several pre-made cables.

The problem with cables is that bending them, putting a curve, stepping on them, etc., can change the impedence. While this may not cause a visible difference in your home, it was immediatly noticible with the video analyzers.

Then they built a set of cables with Canare connectors and ... (I dont remember what coax), and found this to be the least sensitive. Then they used this one cable for all the tests.

At the outragious price of $2.90 per RCA plug, Canare is just about the best you can get. It's the best I know of.

Gregg - since you are just next door to me and want to build your own cable, email me. I have the tools, connectors & component cable stock. We will build you a cable for the fun of it.

7. Gregg Hart

Bob,

Thank you for the kind offer. I would love to come by. I sent you email.

8. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

There is a place here that is selling closout Canare stuff, I picked up the RCA connectors for 1.55, the f conn for 1.10 and the BNC for 1.39. I got the crimp die for 31.64, all of the connectors were the C5F models. here is the link-
    click me [​IMG]

9. Gregg Hart

I picked up some RCA connectors from them. They were all out of the dies thogh. Damn.

10. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Are the Canare RCA plugs, $2.90 each, built to 75 Ohm specs?

11. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I just called and they have no RCAP C53 which is goopd for Belden 1694 and they have no Rcap C77 which is for the Canare LV77 cables..Oh well

12. Gregg Hart

Well with the generous help of Bob McElfresh I made my first set of component cables using the Canare V3-5CFM cable. The cable turned out great, with excellent picture quality. The problem I am having is that the cable is so thick and heavy that I am unable to the the cable to bend well enough to stay in my DVD player without popping out.

I know that Canare has the V3-4CFB and V3-3CFM cable as well. I assume those are more flexible and lighter. Would there be any loss in quality going to a lower cable like

these? It looks like the V3-3CFB has a bandwidth of 200MHz which is more than enough for HDTV and 480P DVD, so I'd think I would be able to use is OK, but I don't know if

there would be other drawbacks to it. If you had any suggestions, I would be grateful.

13. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Could just do three seperate runs of L-5CFB cable..

14. Gregg Hart

Yes but once I tie all 3 of those cables together they will be thicker and heavier than the V3-5CFB.

I guess what I was hoping to find out is if using the smaller V3-4CFB or V3-3CFM would yield as good a picture as the bigger RG6 would for short runs like I will be making (6-8 feet)?