What's new

Interested in LG 86sj9570 86" 4K TV (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang,

Looking for a bigger display. I have been reading about the LG 86sj9570, which looks pretty darn good.

Anyone have inside info, reviews or alternate recommendations???

Thanks a bunch!

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I do know a few people that are also interested in this TV. As far as I know there are no reviews. If I was looking for a replacement for my Samsung this would be my target. Can't beat 80"+ TV screens! Sorry I can't be of more help.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
We had one on display in our showroom, but when inventory was short we delivered it to a local client.

Here's what I know. It's a 10-bit panel. Reaches about 1400 nits peak lumens.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, 10-bit is the best available today and the high peak luminance delivers a dynamic image that performs well in high ambient light as well as with UHD/HDR content.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I got this TV installed today. So far, very happy with it.
My one question (so far) is how to get the current resolution to display on screen?
I have had other 4K TVs that will display the current resolution with the press of a remote button.
It helps when watching Netflix and YouTube so I know I am getting the full 4K experience.
Just can't seem to figure out how to see that info on this model.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott!

Now if they'd just release a UHD version of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus you'd have a new reference disc to show off on that behemoth! ;)

But I see from your IMDB link you've got some more credits to your resume since then. :thumbsup:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got this TV installed today. So far, very happy with it.
My one question (so far) is how to get the current resolution to display on screen?
I have had other 4K TVs that will display the current resolution with the press of a remote button.
It helps when watching Netflix and YouTube so I know I am getting the full 4K experience.
Just can't seem to figure out how to see that info on this model.
On my LG OLED, you can point the remote arrow into the upper left corner of the screen and the resolution comes up. Not sure if it will work on your model, but there you go. (I have a Harmony remote programmed for my LG with the European model of my TV, and I can use the info button on the remote to get that info without using the LG remote.)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Please keep the post updated with your impressions. What 4K player are you using? Right now this is my leading TV to replace my 2014 Samsung 85". Convincing the wife maybe another mater.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I really love this TV. When running 4K content, it just makes me smile. I had a Panasonic 4K a while back and had to return it. It was terrible. This is glorious! Not without its faults (local dimming is a bit odd. Works, but once you see how it works, you can't stop noticing it).
I am feeding it 4K from the built-in Netflix app and YouTube. However, I still have the question of if it is "really" 4K at times since I cannot get the TV to tell me what resolution it is getting.
I bought the XBOX One S and a few 4K discs. "Planet Earth II" is spectacular. When I see it, I get that satisfaction that I am seeing absolute brilliance on screen. Love it.

I phoned LG tech support about getting the resolution info on the screen. They confirmed it is not currently possible. I requested it be submitted to tech review to get it implemented in a future patch. It is like having a car with no speedometer.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
...(local dimming is a bit odd. Works, but once you see how it works, you can't stop noticing it)...

Yup. A big problem for me with all the non-emissive panel displays I've seen so far. Can't unsee it, but it seems especially noticeable to me on larger displays (that's probably obvious...).

Unfortunately for me I don't have access to LG displays to play around with. But I do have access to Sony. PJs and LEDs and *now* OLED. Yay! I was really pumped on getting a 75" Sony LED, their top model (for that size) at the time, even rearranged stuff and made space for it, until I did some setup/calibration stuff for somebody else. Drove me crazy. Sony greatly improved the local dimming and display brightness consistency across the panel on the subsequent model, but the price was getting crazy. The effect will not bother everyone, but it does bother me. Other display things that don't bother me in the least drive other people nuts.

I say these things because, being in Canada, many of the "better" displays are just not easily available for looking at in a store. Especially the larger models, >65", nobody carries "stock" of these, and the people who have some of them, they're usually in different rooms and not so easy to get a good comparison. You aren't going to see e.g. an ~75" Sony LED and LG OLED in the same room, ever, here. For pretty obvious marketing reasons. And you really should look at these "higher end" displays before buying, the types are very different with different idiosyncracies. [I doubt Sony makes their LED panels, like their OLED panels, they're probably also made by LG.]

I hope I don't sound too negative. You should just enjoy your display. I'm coming from an engineer's perspective, which means massively critical... You should hear what I really say about my own stuff (you sure won't see it in print!), and I was picky when I made my selections. (In fact, I have only ever bought one brand of A/V gear that I have zero negative to say about it. Their engineers think like me, so that makes them right! :) And I guess there's Oppo too, they're pretty good when they don't load up on superfluous crap that has nothing to do with disc playing.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks