Interested in buying a Record Player.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MichaelPR, Sep 7, 2005.

1. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

hello,

I'm very interested in purchasing a record player. The problem is I barely know anything about them. I do know though that my receiver does not have a phono input on it though. I'm using a Denon Avr 1705 with some swan 2.1s for my fronts. What are my options....I saw this record player on Crutchfield which seems reasonable Denon DP-29F. I really don't want to spend more than $200 I just want to make sure I get something decent. Also where do you guys buy records online? Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Ken Groulx

Ken Groulx Stunt Coordinator

First off, if your receiver doesn't have a phono input, you'll need to purchase a phono preamp; prices vary, but they're fairly cheap in general.

Regarding cost: If vinyl isn't your main source for musical listening, then the $200 you're willing to spend is fair enough for casual use.

Personally, I avoid online record buying, just because I feel it's too much of a gamble, particularly with used records. If you have a local vinyl shop, or one within a reasonable distance, I suggest you go that route. It's much more fun discovering (or rediscovering, for that matter) records from some of these places than getting it online. You'll also know exactly what you're getting for your dollar.

Peace, Soul
    Ken.

3. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Well ken I did notice that the Denon Table I was looking at said it did not need a Phono Preamp....Which was why I was looking to go for that one. I'm sure I can find someplace around here to buy some records from....I am 19 miles from NYC soo It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

4. Ken Groulx

Ken Groulx Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't familiar with that Denon model, but yes, you're right, many newer consumer turntables do in fact have a built-in preamp that can be enabled/disabled depending on your system. (I absent-mindedly assumed you were looking at a model that didn't). I actually have a Sony PSLX250H as a secondary unit with a built-in phono preamp; pretty nice sound for a budget player, but the physical build is not very sturdy.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Michael, since turntables are part of the A/V-source chain, your thread has been moved to the appropriate A/V Sources section; ask hardware-related questions in the appropriate hardware-related area. Thanks.

You know, I've been a member at HTF for more than six years and have seen similar comments in a number of posts. But I still cannot get over that question, having been into audio for more than 35 years. There was a time, not that long ago, when vinyl LPs ruled the world of home audio and everyone had turntables and cartridges. Things sure have changed.

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Michael is young enough that he grew up with CDs, not LPs. The same is going to be true for most people under 25 or 30 y/o.

7. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

FYI, J&R has the same turntable with free shipping. May order one myself. [​IMG]