What's new

Interested in a new receiver (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Hi All;
I currently have a 5.1 system which I think sounds pretty good,and am thinking about upgrading to a 6.1.But before I spend a lot of money on doing so I would like to know if it's really that much better just having the extra channel behind you.
Thanks in advance
Ed

John S

Senior HTF Member
While there are advantages, if your happy with your current performance, I don't think it is worth it, just for 6.1. But, you can also upgrade all the other aspects as well. Like power / component video switching / ect..ect...

There is also quite a bit of extra processing modes that come along with 6.1 / 7.1 too.

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Can anyone suggest a good 5.1 receiver reasonably priced.I have a Sony STR K502P 100W pre ch. right now.

Thanks
Ed:)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF.

"Reasonably priced" is going to mean different things to different people. Give a specific price range, and you'll get some specific recommendations. Also, remember that within a given price range, receivers of similar specification perform similarly, if not identically, so you must consider what features you absolutely need and weed out particular models based on their feature-sets.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Ed: just read your other 2 threads.

First, it all goes back to the issue of your budget and your needs. For most folks in most home theater rooms, a basic 5.1 or 6.1 receiver gets the job done; in other applications, depending on the particular preferences of the user, a more sophisticated setup, with additional amplifiers, may be suitable.

What is your budget, what is your application?

Also, it's legitimate to ask multiple related questions in a single thread, rather than starting multiple individual threads.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Ed

I to have a 5.1 system and even though it has worked well for the past 4 years. I am saving up to upgrade as well. IMHO it would be worth having the extra channel for movies. The only problem is that there are not alot of 6.1 titles out there compaired to 5.1. There should be a new reciever coming out next month that I saw at CES in Las Vegas. Check it out as it is finally on there web site. If you are seriously looking to upgrade from 5.1 check out the Denon AVR-3805 receiver. The only drawback is that it does not have a multi channel analog input on it. So if I am not mistaken you would have to use there dvd player with denon link to get multi channel dvd-a and sacd. The 3805 retails for $1200 and is 6.1 and 7.1 compatible. This model has 100MHz video switching, auto room adjusting, dd-ex, dts-es, dd-llx, assignable digital inputs, 3 component inputs, assignable component inputs and assignable internal amplifiers if you decided to use external amplification.

It depends on how happy you are with what you currently have. As most material is in 5.1 it would boil down to if you really want to go 6.1/7.1 ? Granted there are more and more 6.1 titles coming out but 5.1 titles still dominate current catalogs. Like John mentioned it is a good idea if you want more power/better amplifier section, component video switching, assignable inputs and updated surround decoding.

Good Luck ED

Chun Lam

Agent
I recently bought the Denon AVR 1804 6.1 receiver. It is my first receiver so I bought a 6.1 - so in the future, I wouldn't have to upgrade. Personally, considering the lack of actual 6.1 titles out there, had I already had a 5.1 receiver that I was happy with, I would have waited before spending the money on a 6.1.

My $0.02.

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Ed, I have had a 6.1 receiver for some time now but have only recently connected a sixth surround back speaker (SB). I find the sound to be much more dynamic and entertaining in 6.1 then it was in 5.1. Especially since my SB speaker is about 8 feet behind my listening position. Now, with any DD EX or DTS 6.1 movies, there is a unique and distinct channel of sound (regardless of weather it is matrixed or not) coming from the rear of my room as well as the two sides and front. This also creates a much more enveloping sound experience. For example, in SW AOTC the sound of a transport will start directly behind you and then pan through the right surround speaker, to the right front speaker and end up in the center speaker. IMHO, surround back is the only way to go, especially if you can position the SB several feet behind your listening position. To the other point about the limited amount of movies available in this format, this is true but take a look at some examples:
Star Wars
LOR
ET
T2
Jurassic Park III

Good luck with your decission.

Rob

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Hi all;
Been doing some surfing looking at some receivers that would be available to me here on the east coast of Canada and probably in my price range.Looking at the Yamaha RX-V530
It looks like it has more than my sony does,the only thing is the wattage is smaller being 75 watts per channel.Where mine is 100.Should that be a big concern?

Ed

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
First of all.........Welcome to HTF. ;) For the money your talking....I suggest looking into the Sherwood 6108. It's what I have in my set-up, and I am extremely happy with it. I haven't looked at another receiver since my purchase.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Looked at your Sherwood receiver,but unfortunatly that brand in not available here in my area.Like I said we're pretty limited here.

Ed

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Probably not. In that price range wattages are often given using varying methods and rarely are the receivers truly as powerful as they claim. Depending on the model, it's possible that the 75 watt Yamaha is better than the 100 watt Sony, or it could be the opposite. You'll have to do some research on the specific models to see how they are rated.

The specs for the 530 claim 75 watts from 20Hz to 20kHz which is good, however they don't specify what the wattage is with all five channels driven. It also specifies 80 watts at 1kHz and 95 watts of dynamic power. Manufacturers will choose from any of those numbers when making their marketing literature.

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Since Yamaha seems to be the most assessable and affordable to me,how about any of the maybe lower end 6.1 receivers?Are there any of them anyone would recommend?

Thanks
Ed;)

Lee M T

Second Unit
Most Yamaha tests I see (in this particular price range) have dismal ratings for "All Channels Driven." Something along the lines of 35 watts per channel. Even my Yamaha RX-V640 shows the same sort of results in tests. However, I had a pair of Mirage Omni 60's hooked up for about a month before I bought my center channel. All was fine and well. I then throw on the center channel and it did exactly as you would think it should. The sound got louder because there was another speaker, plus the sound was richer, cleaner, just plain better. So I don't really know what to say. With three channels driven I didn't see a performance loss, perhaps I will when I add a pair of rears? I don't know.

I love my Yamaha. I had a Pioneer (non-Elite) previously that had a ridiculous claim of 150 watts x 2 and my 85 x 2 Yamaha blows it clean out the water.

As for everything else, I really enjoy the Yam. My 640 met all my requirements for the price I could afford. Not an easy feat, as most receivers will run you $799+ to get preamp outputs, which was a must have item for me.

Good luck with your decision.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Take a look at the Harman Kardon's on sale on the internet. You should be able to get an AVR-125 or AVR-225 for around $200 and they are AWESOME.

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
I looked at the 2 Harmon Kardons they look good but don't seem to have the Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES capabilities,or at least the specs I read hadn't included them.Just getting off the subject for a bit,my wife and I were watching a movie last night and I noticed a rumbling in the sub.I immediately had a good idea what is was.After it was over I checked the speaker itself out and sure enough the driver is shot "again".Good thing it's still under warranty.This is the 2nd time this has happened.I hope it's not anything I'm running causing this.I sure don't have it cranked up enough to have this effect.Or at least I wouldn't think so,seeing that the original sub the system came with was a 8'' 50w. and this is a 10" 325w.
Keep the help coming it's pretty much impossible to talk to anyone in my area that knows anything about home theater.

Thanks
Ed

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Ok I think I am narrowing my search.Since I don't have much room behind my rear surrounds for a 6th channel.It would be only a foot further back at best.I think I will just go with a better 5.1 receiver.The brands available to me that I would consider in my price range would be maybe a lower end HK,or a JVC,Yamaha,Panasonic,Sony,Pioneer,Kenwood,Nad is available but out of my price range.Looking in the 4-$500 dollar range Canadian.New that it,used equipment is pretty hard to find here.

Thanks
Ed:emoji_thumbsup:

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Sorry I forgot I would also like it to have both Dolby Digital Ex and DTS ES equipped.That should narrow it down.Any help will greatly appreciated.

Again Thanks
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks