Interconnects- "analogue" Vs digital

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ch, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Just wondering- I bought a Rotel RB-993 (200W*3) today and for interconnects I bought 2 pairs of Tara Labs Prism 500i's. The dealer didn't have a single interconnect so I ended up with 4 ie. I have one spare now. I was wondering whether I could use one of the interconnects as a digital connection between my DVD player and Denon receiver. Currently I use a Monster 75ohm video cable. Will using a "proper" interconnect bring improvement, and will not using a coaxial cable but rather an "analogue" (?) one do damage to anything?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, I guess I'm more into speakers and electronics et al. Never really thought cables would be so much hassle :b

Mike

2. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Mike, cables are not really a hassle unless the sales person is trying to rope you into spending large sums of money on the fancy stuff. All the evidence I have been seen indicates that ordinary 12G speaker wire from Radio Shack or Home Depot (do you have them in Australia?) is as good as it gets and that fancy (expensive) speaker wire is very expensive smoke and mirrors. The Monster video cable is fine and the same applies, the fancy stuff probably provides no visible benefit. If you want more info the link below provides an overview of the subject. Good luck with the new amp.
    Regards, Nick
    http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Mike, you can use that extra interconnect for your digital coax as long as it is rated 75 ohms.

"Digital coax cable" IS a 75 ohm composite rca type video cable.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Analog interconnects are typically 110 ohms where as the digital coax and video standards are 75 ohms. Continue using the Monster for the digital connection.

5. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

What would happen if I used a cable with a higher ohm rating for video/digital connection? Would I damage any components?

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer