Interconnect - Video cable OK?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Jiang, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

I am in need of some interconnect and bought some acoustic research. By mistake I used one of the video cable for the center channel preout and did not notice any difference. Is there any reason not to use video rca cable for interconnect?

Thanks

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It should work fine, but I'd expect a bit of a volume reduction on the center speaker compared to the L/R.

Audio cables are typically made with something called 50 ohm coax. But you can use 75/110/300 ohm coax. At one time, some bundled cables of Left/Right/Video were all made with 75 ohm coax.

Video cables MUST be made with 75 ohm coax. Thats the convention.

Just use a sound meter to make sure the center is level-adjusted to the R/L.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

As far as I know, there is a slight difference in the resistance of the video cable (75 ohms) versus 50 ohms for the audio sides. I don't hesitate to use the video cable for audio. I would venture to say that using the video cable for audio should be below the lowest audible difference.

Perhaps some of the EEs can be more detailed and specific.

Artie

4. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

Lengthy discussion on another board about this. Unless the cable runs are fairly long (say above 25') the loss occurring in a 50ohm vs. 75ohm cable is neglible for the composite video. I've got a plain old audio cable for one of my hookups (as well as the "coaxial" digital) and it works fine.

If you didn't notice a problem, don't create one! [​IMG]