What's new

Interconnect: Monster vs..... (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you're not kidding John. the stuff that's out there, from a nostalgia point of view is just amazing. btw, while cleaning out my basement, i ran across a TI99/4A 'computer' gonna hold on to it for a while and i know that somewhere there'a an old atari video game. i may upgrade the video cable and power cord on that...maybe i'll finally get good graphics?

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link Chu. I have corresponded with Ian Masters a couple of times, I think he still writes for Sound & Vision Magazine?

So much for trusting one's ears.
Basically, that's what is used as one of the measuring instruments. So you have to trust them or not, or, one will not be able to judge the sound. However, room acoustics will also alter the perception of sound, and as most or all of our rooms differ, then there will be some variation. I am a big believer in investing on improving ones room acoustics.

Dan Pawlowski

Stunt Coordinator
Chu Gai
You seem like you are very knowledgeable person…... for a waiter, I am impressed and glad to read your posts. Keep it up. :)
As for interconnects and speaker wire …..I think it's very refreshing to read useful information about a topic rather than the views of those “golden eared” audiophiles claiming to have found ecstasy by spending a zillion dollars on a piece of cooper.
Later
DAN
:)

Hey Chu....

Just wondering...

Could you list for us the components that comprise your audio and video systems (along with the cables, isolation platforms, etc. of course)?

I'm thinking it must be pretty choice stuff to stand up to the rigors of your scrutiny.

So, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Altho he has an advanced degree in his course of study, it is my belief that Chu Gai no longer personally practices at his primary profession. Now having raised his family, Chu Gai has found service in the field of waiting, as in ... good things come to he who ....
He now makes investigations into the phenomenology of everyday events: Do wire electrons have a life? Do Cu molecules really prefer to be oxygen-free or is it that they've never tried nitrous oxide? Does the apocrophal formula of 1 foot per 1 ms hold up as applied to spinning TP when hung and rolled from the front? What does it mean to be hung?
Chu Gai shares these findings with unfailing good humor (and humour for Canadian enthusiasts).
Does he and has he ever run B*SE? Does he own stock in Home Depot? Good questions, but irrelevant to me.
I do not measure a man's scrutinacious cortex by the length and depth of his surge protector. Perhaps his isolation platform measures two inches on his shoe heels. Did we mind that Einstein never got a haircut and seldom washed his underdrawers? Merely rhetorical. No, mysteries are the basis of myth, and mythical lore is the fundamental basis of truth. I'm content with this.

bill

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Bill,

lol..... you used too large words and ... when you throw in Einstein then paralysis sets in... a numbness affect that cortex thing you mentioned. Now that word scares people !

I thought it was funny.... if that helps.

Chu is a champ. I hope he takes it in the spirit it was intended. I may disagree with him on many things (we do agree the room, and that room treatments are the "lost components in the mix"), but his perseverence is admirable.

Hell, it's a hobby we all enjoy. Banter is part of it. Personal stuff is too audioreviewish, if you will.

Chu, ;^) so just what gear do you run ? Ya know, you really need to lay it on us.

Cheers

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
"I would say that most of the cable makers listed here and above will perform at least as well if not a lot better than the Monster products."- Mark Rich

I have to disagree with this generalization.
I like Monster's M series products, but I have to agree that there are many cables out there that have better construction and better sound for the $$$. Keep in mind that Monster also makes cables for other brands (for example, AR and RCA's HT line)

People like to bash Monster for being the "Microsoft" of a/v cables. I like to look at Monster as being the STANDARD bearer for each price/performance tier - I always suggest weighing alternative brands against the equivalently priced Monster cable. If the alternative brand sounds better to your ears, then you have found a "better valued" cable. If you just compared alternative brands against each other, results may vary by huge margins.

One note - Most of Monster's exposure here on the forum is limited to the INTERLINK line. The definitive line from Monster is their "M" series, which can be had at reasonable prices to the more expensive M1000s. I've had the chance to use BETTER CABLES as well as some from KIMBER - extremely mixed results on MY system, but some were definitely better than my Monsters.

In the end, most people don't have the leisure to keep breaking in new cables and comparing them with others. I personally don't have the time anymore. In the end, I like to advise people to get the best possible cables that they can afford (comparing them on more of a "reference level" sound system) so that they won't need to upgrade their cables later as they upgrade their components, and then building on the cables one at a time until the set is complete.

Getting concensus on the net would be extremely difficult.
Of course, certain levels of cables may yield little or no benefits on some equipment, while making a tremendouse difference on others.
Elbert

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Albert

I'd say Monster is over priced at any price point therefore my statement was fair. Pick a cable from Zu,Cat,Rhino,Boulder,LAT etc and compare the material,construction,connectors against any cable that Monster offers at a similar price point and the results will speak for them selves.
This does not say that Monster cables are bad they are just way over priced for what you get.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Mark - Point taken, but I have yet to hear of some real comparisons in the sub $100 interconnect price range. I have to admit that I stopped doing back to back comparisons in a long while, but, it was something that I tried for about 2 years before I got burned out.
In the "loftier" range of products (M1000i for $200) to some of the higher end cables that do cost more, I have to say that I've been impressed wtih the M1000i and M950i for their performance in this price. I can't say that these will always perform better than some cables costing less.

My point is that Monster should be a reference point because they set the market price on cables. I know that their manufacturing costs don't vary significantly from cable to cable and, from personal experience, I think their cheaper cables don't offer anything in the way of performance at all. Other than their POWER PRODUCTS, I know that there are many other cables that do sound better. But, I know that they try to market and price their cables according to their PERFORMANCE/MANUFACTURING COST , which is the most complete and comprehensive product lineup of any cable manufacturer. I've tried cables from XLO, Kimber, STraight Wire and a few others with VARYING results - some of their lower priced cables sounding better than their higher priced cables! Later, I learded that some cable designs were purchased from other designers, which makes their own designed flawed by comparison.

WHen I have time, I would like to try the RHINO, CAT and Boulders since I have heard good things about them. Would definitely like compare them with the M1000i and Sigma Retro.
Elbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks