interconnect length

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt Park, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

I bought the bettercables silver serpents. They arrived yesterday, and one is 3/8" longer than the other. Should I worry about it?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

nope, but personally, i think that's kind of sloppy QC.

3. Walt Park

At least they have good customer service. I called them, and they are shipping a new pair today. Hopefully between the 2 pairs there will be 1 pair that are the same length.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

lol...hey when they come in, post back, ok?

5. Walt Park

ok. Just a follow up. The replacements came yesterday. They were not even either. But taking one from each set I'm closer. The down side now is that the techflex on one of those is loose/bunched near the shrink wrap. If I keep them, I'll cut the shrinkwrap and toss the techflex.

6. brucek

brucek Second Unit

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

He did not specify, but I believe he is talking about Component Video cables.

My guess is 3/8 of an inch difference - not a problem. In fact, if the Silver Serpent cable is like the Canare cables, the conductors are twisted internally. Depending upon the windings, one or all cables could be identical length, but the ends will not line up because of the windings. Look at the thickness of the individual coax. As long as the difference in the ends is less than the thickness of 2 of the cables - it's probably ok.

My guess is your original complaint simply generated a "send this guy another cable - STAT" order with no questions. (Typical of BetterCables trying to offer great service.) Likely your original cable is perfect. If you are worried, write to BetterCables and ask for Brad himself. Just be warned that the Consumer Electronics Show was last week and there is usually a flury of activity for several weeks afterwards so it may take a few days for him or one of his techs to respond.

But I am confident BetterCables will do right by you.

8. brucek

brucek Second Unit

9. Walt Park

It was analog audio cables. It wasnt so much a concern as a peeve. It just seemed that for over a hundred bucks, from what is supposed to be a good source, that they have so much trouble getting the lengths the same. If it was a woven cable, and streatch was a factor, I would see why, but it appears to be a coax, or a shielded pair cable (not sure cuz I didnt cut it) so streatch isnt really a factor. I would think that making them all withing an 1/8th would not be too difficult. I guess it was a an observation on quality control esp in light of that other thread where someone opened up a bettercable cable and the stuff under the barrel was... less than ideal. I guess I'm not convinced that I would hear a difference in either length or in the sketchy soldering job in that one pic, but it does make me wonder.

I ordered some silver and silver plated wire and will try some diy cables. If they sound the same or better I'll return the bettercables. If they dont, I'll keep them.