Interconnect construction opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lam Nguyen, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Is the twisted pair construction superior to the coaxial design in interconnect? Just wondering what you all think.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think it's six of one for probably 99% of us. You can literally make an interconnect out of just about anything so long as your dealing with nominal lengths. As the length gets very long, provided your preamp can drive it, then you'd be looking to minimize capacitance.

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I had a pair of some Kimber interconnects and honestly I didnt really notice a difference from using a more conventional type of cable. I think the most important part of the cable is the connector, if you have a cable with a good connector you can't go wrong. Although, if you are talking about extremely long lengths of cable runs that is a different situation. Just my $0.02.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you’re talking about unshielded twisted pair, there is a much better chance of them picking up EMI compared to standard shielded cable.

If you think that twisted pair has its advantages, then use some high-quality, professional-grade mic cable (used for balanced signal applications). It has a shielded twisted pair – the best of both worlds.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Honestly, I can't hear the difference in interconnects when playing music myself, until I replace 1 of 3 pair of interconnects in my karaoke system. The difference was undeniable, the new pair of interconnect made my voice sound different than how it usually sound in my system. I do believe interconnects can make a difference.

I've been making interconnects using cables from belden, the belden's capacitant is 12.8 pF/ft., cables from kimber is around 50 pF, does this mean the Belden cables are better? I really don't know the technical side of things and would love to know what these #'s mean and other important #'s in regard to cables.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the mogami works well...pick it up at your local guitar store.