interconnect cable question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by StanB, Jul 30, 2005.

1. StanB

StanB Agent

What is the difference in cables with RCA ends that are supposed to be for subwoofers and cables with RCA ends that serve as interconnects?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

While there could be a slight difference in the quality of construction of a cable made specifically for a subwoofer, generally speaking, there is no practical difference. I have used ordinary RCA cables for my subwoofers and they are completely fine.

Some people just feel better using a slightly heavier duty cable for their sub. Kind of: "Well, I just spent $750 for my subwoofer, I'm going to get a nifty $35 cable for it."

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

nothing.

FYI: The sub connection is the least demanding one in your system.

4. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

only differerence i like is not having to split apart a dual rca connection and ive heard better quality out of some subwoofer cables though that may just because it was a higher grade cable or instead of the comman nitrogen filled dielectric on regualar audio RCA's it may be filled with something different, never the less the difference if there is any is very slight.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

For analog audio cables, they can be made with any of the popular coax cables: 50/75/110/300 ohm are all used.

But for Video cables and the coaxial-digital cable, the spec says you must use 75 ohm coax. This is so the cable will match the impedence of the destination electronics.

Hope this helps.

6. John_RO

John_RO Stunt Coordinator

Any RCA cable will do the job. Subwoofer specific cables are usually expensive and won't really increase the performance of your sub. The sub pre out on a modern AV reciever carries only a small amount of voltage (around 2 volts, I think). The only thing I would care about is shielding. Acoustic Research makes some nice sub cables for a good price. And i've had great success using the Dayton cables from Parts Express. The other route is to use some good quality RG6 coaxial cable and buy some coax to RCA adapters from Radio Shack. For a long run, this is usually the best option.