InterActual for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Farmer, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I was wondering if anyone had heard some updates on if InterActual was going to bring their DVD player (used primarily for access DVD-ROM content, which is 95% denied to Mac users currently) to the Mac. Last I heard, they were laying the blame at Apple's feet, saying they wanted to do the software, but Apple wouldn't' open up the necessary APIs for them to develop it. Anyone heard anything since?

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I've posted on this before, but the problem is 100% based on greed or some sort of bias by Interactual. What they do is they filter and block Mac web browsers from viewing the content. 99% of which is HTML, QT, Flash, and Shockwave. In the case of the Star Wars: Episode I DVD they actually blocked Mac users from viewing the clips and features hosted by Apple in Quicktime format during the theatrical run and remained in their original QT format when the filter went on at Lucas' site.
    Before you could actually browse the discs in a web browser. Then they moved all the content from the DVD onto their web sites. Thus limiting DVD owner access to the content they thought they paid for with the purchase and a means to filter Mac users for some unknown reason.
    There's not an issue of incompatibility. They are greedy SOBs and it took Paul McCartney to put them in their place!!!!
    Thanks Paul for this Link to InterActual Key for Mac Isn't it nice of them to waste their time limiting it only for his DVD instead of a friggin' login client hooked to the DVD content. What a waste of time. All that programming time wasted just to piss off mac users with this auto login proprietary crap. It even sends the url to IE for OS X which is the worst browser around on any platform now instead of to the default browser as a proper app would.
    Here's an mp3 interview with him. link
    Funny how they archived this fairly recent piece.
    http://www.interactual.com/news/Apple.htm

3. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

OK, I don't have the Paul McCartney DVD, but the key you linked to will open the page. So why the HELL won't they support any of the kajillion discs out there that won't let Macs access them?
    this is really frustrating on movies like Star Wars, where Macs were so important in creating the movie, and Independence Day, where they're featured prominently. Hell, ID4 even had the Apple ad on teh disc, yet the content won't work on one. [​IMG]