What's new

Interactive TV Shows - Who owns the rights/needs to be contacting for DVD Release. (1 Viewer)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
About 10-12 years ago, there was a new technology that was introduced (It might be specific to Montreal though) that allowed for some user interactivity on TV shows.

The way this worked, there was an interactive TV Channel which actually was 4 channels and depending on the specific show, the viewer's special cable box could do the switching accordingly (Using buttons on the remote labelled F1, F2, F3 and F4). I think these could be released on DVD using Seamless Branching and Camera Angles.

Some of these shows included some interactive quiz show where the viewer would answer the question and by getting correct answers you get points as the system was able to keep a score and some of the branching allowed to check on the score, something I think the DVD format can handle as well (Or so I read on the DVD FAQ). Some other shows included a Black Jack game where you would place bets (Using 4 amount choices) then as the hand plays choose Hit, Stand, Double using the remote. And your score is updated depending on whether you win or lose. A roulette game was also made using similar ways except that you had 4 different bets choice like say 100 on Red, 50 on 1-6, 20 on 10-11 or 10 on 34.

But the show that I really enjoyed and that I would certainly buy on DVD was an interactive investiagation game. First you are presented with the case and all the evidence (Using either standard or Technical view which you could change on the fly so Camera Angles could do that on DVD) and then throughout the investigation, you were asked questions as to which lead to follow in order to figure out which one of the suspect is really guilty. At the end of the episode, if you fail to find out who the real suspect is and that they come up with an alibi or something, you are given a Password which you can use when that particular episode is rerun to redo the investigation with the suspect you previously wrongfully accused completely removed from the list of suspects.

Other programming on that interactive channel included some Hockey, Baseball Games where you were able to chosse different views of the game and some concert where you were able to lock on a particular musician (Sarah McLachlan's Mirrorball DVD does something like that) but the interactive game shows would really make great DVDs.

Like I said, that sort of technology might be specific to Montreal like I think they were saying back then when advertizing the thing... Does anyone know who might own the rights on these series as I'm sure that something like that would sell like hot cakes since that would be the first DVDs that fully utilize Seamless Branching/Camera Angles...

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Bump.

Anyone would know? This would really be great to finally have some DVDs that fully use features of the format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks