"Intended version" vs. theatrical release

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 23, 2001.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I've seen some comments around to the effect that most people here want to see movies the way they were meant to be seen. The way they were in the theater. Hence the whole fight to keep OAR.
    Now I've also seen these types of comments related to the Star Wars SE trilogy, or the current Superman DVD. I know that the SW:SE is how Lucas wants you to see SW, and I've just read in the Warner chat transcript that the cut of Superman out on DVD now is the way Richard Donner wanted you to see that movie.
    I understand that people want to see things the way they remember them in the theater, without any modification. But when the guy that made the movie tells you to forget about what you saw in the theater, that this DVD with his cut is how you were supposed to see the movie, where do you stand? Do you feel that the theatrical version is the only real true version? Or do you feel that the true version is what the guy who made the movie wants you to see?
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: webmaster@jjr512.com | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

For the most part, if the director says "This is how my movie should be", I take that version, with the EXCEPTION OF:
    1-Greedo shooting first
    2-ET's Walkie Talkies
    Both are figments of someone's crack pipe, and I hope the respective filmmakers figure that out sooner rather than later
    Jeff Kleist

3. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I'd like to hear from Steve Enemark. Here is a quote from the chat transcript:
    quote: SteveEnemark: When will we get to see SUPERMAN on DVD, with the original cut of the movie, and the original soundtrack? This new version you released, with its added scenes and pointlessly changed sound mix is NOT acceptable. Film lovers (some call us purists) like myself prefer to see movies as they were originally released. Original Aspect Ratio (OAR), original cut, and original sound are all we want. We are the easiest DVD customers to please!
    Warner: This was the intended cut of filmmaker Richard Donner, and if he desires to modify and expand it based on fan interest, it will be considered for revistation in future years.[/quote]
    Are you (or is anybody else) satisfied with Warner's answer? Now knowing that the DVD contains what the director wanted you to see, are you happy with it, or do you still feel that the theatrical version is the true version.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: webmaster@jjr512.com | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message
    [Edited last by JustinR on October 23, 2001 at 01:46 AM]

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Personally, I judge this on a title-to-title basis. If a movie is actually expanded and made better by the changes, then I'm usually pleased with it. The best example of this is David Fincher's SEVEN, the DVD of which is actually miles beyond the theatrical presentation.
    Ideally, I like to see both versions of the movie presented with seamless branching (as on THE ABYSS, INDEPENDENCE DAY, etc.).
    However, on classic titles like Superman, I think they should at least include the original soundtrack, since the 5.1 remixes are hit-or-miss in terms of quality.

7. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

In what way was 'Seven' miles different from the theatrical cut? I saw this in the theater and can't recall very much being different on the newest DVD. ???
    Just curious [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Sean Oneil on October 23, 2001 at 10:47 AM]

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

quote: No, and the only reason I could imagine that even being said is by someone at Lucasfilm covering thier butt from backlash ("Well, George always intended to have Greedo shoot at Han first, but the technology was just not there at the time to allow for this to happen").[/quote]
    Wrong. George Lucas HIMSELF said he always intended for Greedo to shoot, but he wasn't able to do it back in 1977.
    [Edited last by Richard Kim on October 23, 2001 at 10:58 AM]

9. Dave Scallan

Dave Scallan Auditioning

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, and the only reason I could imagine that even being said is by someone at Lucasfilm covering thier butt from backlash ("Well, George always intended to have Greedo shoot at Han first, but the technology was just not there at the time to allow for this to happen").
    Wrong. George Lucas HIMSELF said he always intended for Greedo to shoot, but he wasn't able to do it back in 1977.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    WHAT Technology is that? - that Lucas didn't have to let Greedo shoot first? How can you believe such Bullshit?

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

So, do I qualify as being pointlessly geeky by buying the Criterion laserdisc of SE7EN so I have both colour timings and sound mixes? [​IMG]

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

14. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Just to stir up the pot a bit, as if I needed to, how about the theaterical release of Blade Runner with the running Decker commentary versus the Director's cut on DVD? I personally want an SE to have both.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

15. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

16. Michael Reuben

17. Michael Reuben

quote: Actually, it isn't just the transfer that's different. Fincher sat down and had them reframe many of the shots in the movie that he didn't like, in addition to taking out the jitter of some handheld shots, modifying the colors for each scene, etc. Visually, it is an entirely different movie, although it is the same edit of the movie itself.[/quote] I suppose it's a matter of semantics, but I consider all of those items to be part of the "transfer". Changes like that are made all the time, but usually they're undocumented. (A couple of examples off the top of my head: Daylight has many reframed shots -- just compare the LD to the DVD. Apocalypse Now has a different color scheme on DVD than on LD.)
    quote: The soundtrack was also remixed for home theater using the original effects stems, and is vastly improved over the theatrical mix or the original DVD version.[/quote] Remixing 5.1 for "near field" playback isn't unique to the Se7en Platinum Edition. It's done on many DVDs, including nearly all DVDs produced at the Sony facility. Again, what's exceptional about the Platinum Edition is that these changes were documented.
    quote: In this case, it's much the same as a director's cut, since the director went back to correct things that he wasn't able to accomplish in the original theatrical print.[/quote] I reserve the term "director's cut" for changes that involve adding or deleting footage. Otherwise the term loses its meaning.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 23, 2001 at 12:08 PM]

18. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey

19. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Alright, I found the Lucas quote on the Greedo change. It's
    from the Star Wars: Behind the Magic CD-ROM:

20. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor