Intellimouse USB creating noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I have a HTPC and I noticed that when ever I use the intel USB mouse, it causes various noises that are barely audible when using my headphones.

I have a hercules GTXP hooked to USB port1, and the intellimouse into the other USB port.

Whenever I minimize a window or right click, I hear a "bleep", When I maximize I hear 2 bleeps, when I use the scroll mouse I hear scratch noises.

It's very weird cause it doesn't make noises when I use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

What options have we? Should I not use a USB mouse due to the noise it's making with my sound card?

2. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    What your hearing is the radio signals emitted by your mouse. It is, in fact, creating interference with your sound card. Some things you might want to try include repositioning the mouse cord and/or moving the PCI portion of your sound card to a different slot, preferably a slot toward the bottom of the case. It will also probably help to hook your mouse up via PS/2 instead of USB. It is a ball mouse, right?

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i hear that with my USB Mouse too...

When i move the mouse, i can hear a buzzing...

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

What kind of computer do you have? Specifically, what kind of motherboard? There have been known issues with older VIA motherboards that will conflict with sound cards (specifically the SB Live series) to cause this problem.

I assume they have fixed this problem with newer chipsets and drivers, but I don't know.

C. Ryan