What's new

Intellimouse USB creating noise (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have a HTPC and I noticed that when ever I use the intel USB mouse, it causes various noises that are barely audible when using my headphones.

I have a hercules GTXP hooked to USB port1, and the intellimouse into the other USB port.

Whenever I minimize a window or right click, I hear a "bleep", When I maximize I hear 2 bleeps, when I use the scroll mouse I hear scratch noises.

It's very weird cause it doesn't make noises when I use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

What options have we? Should I not use a USB mouse due to the noise it's making with my sound card?

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
The same thing happens to me. Because your sound card is on the same bus as your USB ports, it's hard keep noise from other devices from creeping into your sound card. If you listen closely, you may even hear your hard drive making beeps and bloops in your soundcard. A higher quality sound card should sheild the noise better.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
What your hearing is the radio signals emitted by your mouse. It is, in fact, creating interference with your sound card. Some things you might want to try include repositioning the mouse cord and/or moving the PCI portion of your sound card to a different slot, preferably a slot toward the bottom of the case. It will also probably help to hook your mouse up via PS/2 instead of USB. It is a ball mouse, right?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i hear that with my USB Mouse too...

When i move the mouse, i can hear a buzzing...

CRyan

Screenwriter
What kind of computer do you have? Specifically, what kind of motherboard? There have been known issues with older VIA motherboards that will conflict with sound cards (specifically the SB Live series) to cause this problem.

I assume they have fixed this problem with newer chipsets and drivers, but I don't know.

C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks