Intel HSF for P4 Socket 478 any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Jessee, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

I originally asked this question deep in a thread, but I really need an answer before I can start.

I'm assembling a new system with an Intel P4 1.6A CPU, and of course, the stock Heat Sink/Fan that comes with it. The Intel HSF seems to have an adhesive pad where it connects with the CPU. I'm concerned that I may find the stock HSF is too noisy and want to use an aftermarket one, but have trouble getting the original one off the CPU. Any advice? Is the Intel part reasonably quiet? Should I scrape off the adhesive and use heat transfer compound instead? What's your experience?

Thanks!

Peter

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Assuming you're not going to overclock, the stock HSF is fine. I don't think that pad is actually adhesive. It may become a little gooey but its purpose is to transfer heat, not permanently glue the HSF to the chip. Compound like Arctic Silver will transfer heat better, but again, if you're not overclocking, what Intel includes should work well enough.

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Actually the stock HSF does a great job on overclocking also. Many people have been able to get the 1.6A P4 up to 2.2Ghz using just stock HSF. Of coarse YRMV

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

The stock HSF is not bad as has been said.. But HSF's are
    relatively affordable and I would buy a better aftermarket
    unit and some Acrtic Silver II or III to go between the HSF
    and the IHS on the P4...

I went with the Cooler Master Fujiyama Copper Heat Pipe
    Heat Sink which is absolutely the best HSF for the P4 478
    in the $30-$40.00 price range and to be honest, I don't
    beliver the more expensive PAL or the SK will outperform it
    either!

5. Peter Jessee

6. Peter Jessee

Well, I've answered some of my own questions. I did the basic assembly of my new system last night, and determined that the CPU and video card HSFs are the noisiest part of the system. The power supply even controls the speed of the case fans, so they stay nice and quiet. Once I put the side cover back on, the HSF noise was reduced significantly. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to me to replace the two HSFs.

I'll install the OS and other software today, so that should give me plenty of time to sit next to it and decide.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Peter