Intel Chip to Support Super Audio on PCs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Interesting read on stereophile today. This is really a standard to be implemented on chip actually. This Azalia spec could further help SACD penetration with the masses...

http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1576

[​IMG]

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Very interesting. Honestly though, I don't see a benefit to having Hi-res on a PC outside of maybe using it as part of a HTPC, where there are still compromises made in delivering the audio to your system.

Lee you might want to e-mail a moderator as well, your topic header is a bit misleading. This chip also does Dolby Digital and DVD Audio, and I think you accidentally forgot to mention that point [​IMG]. If anything though, I see this chip making DVD-A more prevalent, since DVD is associated with computers, and most people still do not know what SACD is but do at least know what a DVD is.

3. Michael St. Clair

Two of my 3 PC DVD drives puke their guts when I put an SACD in them. The third one plays the Redbook layer and stutters like mad. Will this chipset fix these problems?

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Michael St. Clair

I don't think it's a CODEC problem. CODEC problems give quick, meaningful messages on the screen. With SACD, two of my drives just sit there and seek and seek and grind and seek - indefinitely as far as I can tell. Sounds like a hardware problem to me.

I can buy that my drives would work with DVD-A and the right CODECs/hardware.

I'm guesssing firmware updates would be needed at a minimum for SACD support, and possibly new drives.

6. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I bet the next Audigy card will do this. The Audigy 2 already does DVD-Audio and Dolby Digital EX.

7. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Mine work no problems Michael.

Seth

8. Michael St. Clair

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Just as a note, my computer also is able to read Hybrid discs, both home and work. (The work computer is a Dell.)

Actually, this will interest the folks over at AVSForum, since there are plenty of people who are using their HTPCs as preamps, with high-end sound cards (no Audigy for these folks!)

Jason

10. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Well Jason we all know that the Audigy hardly passes for a low end sound card. [​IMG]

Seth

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Out of curiosity, I tested my laptop and it reads the hybrids fine.

Maybe your drives are not perfectly aligned on the laser side which impacting pit and land reads.

[​IMG]

12. Michael St. Clair

13. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ahhh our favorite game... posting speculation as fact. I'll post the relevant quotation, with highlighting added by yours truly.

14. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Even if the chip could decode a DSD stream, if your DVD player can't read the SACD layer, and Sony makes sure it can't, then the feature is worthless.

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I thought a special transport was required to read sacd discs? Something to do with that pit spacing copy protection thingy.

LJ

16. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I thought that the actual storage format for SACD's was totally different from anything PC's can read today, unlike DVD-Audio. I think at the very least you would need an OS update (new filesystem support) to even be able to read the SACD layer, let alone play it back.

Still, as an HTPC user I'd like to see this. Right now I'm more rooting for DVD-Audio, because PC playback is here already for the Audigy 2 and should be available soon for other audio cards.

17. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

That said, I think Sony is making a big mistake by completely preventing PC playback capability longterm. It's one thing to have copy protection, but dammit if I buy an SACD, I want to be able to play it back anywhere I damn well please, not just one the dedicated player in my home theater. Especially considering how many SACD's are not hybrid. They either need to make playback more universal, or mandate that all discs are hybrid. If not, DVD-A will win in the long run strictly on convenience.

18. Kartal_Guner

Kartal_Guner Extra

19. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jeff,

No, it uses a standard UDF file system, but with encryption and PSP. Both of those require a secret decoder ring to be readable.

Kartal,

It's going to be fun with this, since I only know of 1 brand of DVD-ROM drive that can even read the TOC off of a SACD disc, and that's Pioneer.

Without access to the data (see above), there's not much playback capability for SACD.

Then we have to ask the question... given Intel's past history, what are the chances the technology will be delivered on the schedule being laid out?

Regards,

20. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Actually, the reason some computer DVD drives can't read hybrid SACD discs has nothing to do with alignment or what have you. It's because the drive sees a high-resolution data "layer" and thinks it's a DVD, and tries to read it as such. Of course, SACD != DVD and the drive gets confused trying to make sense of the SACD layer, and never even notices the redbook layer.

Compatible drives either "recognize" and ignore the SACD layer, or look for a CD layer first.

KJP