Integrating parasound 855 w/denon2802&klipch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_T, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Hello all,
    Long time listener, 1st time caller.
    1st off, I wanted to thank everyone here for all of your honest opinions and recommendations. They have helped me take the plunge into upgrading my HT.
    I'm currently running a Denon 2802 with the klipsch Ref 3 series II f/c/r and a def tech sub. Overall, I cant complain with the sound, especially for movies. But sometimes when listening to music, I cant help but fell like I'm missing something. Kinda hard for me to explain, but its like the background tracks are aither not as present or are getting drown out. The snare drum could be a little more pronounced as could the "kick" in the bass drum. Have tried lots of different speaker locations and levels as well as tone adjustments, but they seam to sound best at level -0-. I've been lurking around and have seen some recomendations for the parasound 855 as a good add-on. Was wondering if anyone has tried this combination or similar ones what you experienced for music (and for movies as far that go's). Thnaks for any input, good or bad.
    Thanks
    Phil

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Well, I have Klipsch Reference speakers and the Parasound 1205A, using an Onkyo 696 is the preamp. This is only my opinion, but Onkyos seem to be brighter than Denons. Hopefully, the better power source would provide that extra "kick" you're looking for. I can speak fairly certainly that you'll be impressed by the Parasound over the Denon amps. As you know, your Klipsch only need a few watts of power to get them up and running. Nonetheless, the effortless power of my Parasound has added a lot of clarity and headroom to my system. I can't even imagine how I did without them, which has me wondering what a good pre/pro would do. Hope this helps some.

3. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Thanks DanaA,
    I apppreciate in input. Im almost convinced myself of picking one up, just needed some final pushing. Now if I can just find one on ubid.com for $309 like some lucky people here did, I'll be set, but I havent seen them on ubid for awhile. Has anybody seen any around on-line at a good price?

Phil

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Philip checkout Audiogon for the amp. I got my 1205 from there.

I've been very happy with it.

Good Luck.