What's new

Integrating a NAS into a home theater? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not that it is in my current home theater plans for upgrades and not currently buying any digital content. But I found myself wondering what would be involved in using a NAS in the network so it could provide content to my Marantz SR-8012 and Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED TV? What would it take to get content from the NAS in multiple video resolutions and also provide multiple audio codex to the receiver to be decoded? It would have to be able to bring everything from 5.1 & 7.1 Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio all the way to Dolby Atmos and DTS-X content! Is there anyone actually doing this in there home theater and what was involved in making it work?

Main Living Room:
Marantz SR-8012 11 Channel Surround Receiver - 7.1.4
Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED 55" TV

PC:
Pioneer SC-05 7.1 Surround Receiver
LG 4K LED 43" TV

Bedroom:
Samsung UN55F9000 4K UHD 55" LED TV

Synology DS1817 NAS.jpg

IMG_2519a.jpg

20181128_125848a.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I have a 32TB NAS upstairs in my closet. I run Kodi on a home theater PC to play back content off it, and in the other rooms I use the same. It's a pretty fantastic experience.

A NAS is just a big network share after all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The NAS is the easy part. You can run Plex server on NAS itself. You can use an Nvidia Shield to run Emby Server with a NAS holding the content. I have an HTPC with 10TB capacity running Emby for a home media server.

The questions you need to ask is what’s involved in getting content onto a NAS, and is it worthwhile to you? :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not only the time and effort to get all my content to a NAS and if I can get the lossless and or immersive audio tracks to the Marantz SR-8012? And will the Nvidia Shield handle 4K video?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Is the Plex server software only good for movies or can I also use it to access music for my home theater system as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks