What's new

Integrated sub of seperate (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gre

Auditioning
I am looking to build my first HT system. The room is 24'w x 16'. I sit about ten feet away from the TV. I am looking at the ONKYO TX-Sr700 or the NAD T752. I would like to get a good set of speakers but can't really afford to get all 6 at once. I would like to start with a good pair of floorstanding speakers for the front left and right. I would like a pair I can build a system around.

I would like them to sit as close to the TV as possible. I really like the B&W speakers but they are not magnetically shielded, does anyone know how close these can be placed to a TV (Toshiba 57H82).

I was also looking at getting either the Boston Acoustics VR 975 (with 2 integrated powered subs) or getting Boston Acoustics VR 950 and a separate sub. What would the differences be. I have heard the 975s and they seem to have good bass and with a total of 4 powered subs, it seems capable of feeling my room. Is it better to get a separate sub or is an integrated better?

Also, how well would this work. Is there a setting on the receiver to have it come through just 2 speakers or do I need to have them connected as the B speakers? Would it be a lot better to get a left/front/right speakers or will the 2 be fine for a start?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

Since this seems to apply to specific models and specific needs- I think this would be better off in the speaker area. I'm sure some of our members would have plenty of suggestions for you.

I have moved this to the Speakers Area!

-vince

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Few speakers can be placed within two feet of a solid object like a television without developing response anomalies.

At the distance you need for the speakers to sound decent, magnetic interferance is not a problem with direct view sets. RPTVs have the CRTs down in the base, where they're even farther from the magnetic fields.

IOW, I don't think you'll have problems with unshielded speakers.

As far as integrated sub-woofers, I think they're a bad idea even when reasonably (large, long-throw drivers without a home-theater hump in the 40-80Hz region)

Among other things:
1) Optimal placement for low bass and the rest of the frequency range are different. For a bass-driver only, corner loading will limit the number of nulls you have that can't be equalized and give you the same output you'd have from two of the same driver/amplifer combinations placed where speakers sound good in the upper registers (feet from the walls).

2) Low frequency output is related to box size and power. Main speakers are usually small, and the built-in subs are not any more powerful than a stand-alone sub so they won't play as loud or as cleanly at lower volumes.

3) A lot of manufacturers voice their integrate subs to appeal to the unwashed masses. They sound bad.

4) A lot throw an amplifier on a woofer (note the missing "sub") in their speakers and call it a built-in sub-woofer. Such a beast will not work well.

Run the receiver in a stereo mode, and set your DVD player to down-mix to 2-channels.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I think I replied to this post on another forum but...

In addition to all the points that Drew made you also have the cost issue. For the cost of the VR975 you could get a pair of VR-M50s (from the model line above the VRs) plus an Adire Rava sub. Another solution would be the bookshelves in this line + a better subwoofer. Either method will give you better bass response, better dynamics (headroom), greater extension and output... basically everything will be improved. I would strongly recommend the bookshelf / sub combo but you should audition for yourself.

Jeff Gre

Auditioning
Thank you for your responses

Another question

If I get 2 B&W 603s or 604s, I can put them about a foot away from my TV and not have to worry about any magnetic interference, because I have a rear projection set and the CRT is in the center of the TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks