Integrated Stereo Amp With Subwoofer Output?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Edward, Jun 15, 2005.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I currently have a NAD C320BEE, and since it does not have a dedicated sub output, I purchased a high pass filter from Hsu Research to lessen the load on the amp and main speakers. I did this because I really like the sound of the C320BEE, but it definitely has limitations in driving my PSB Stratus Golds.

The filter has definitely made the bass sound cleaner and with more impact, as the sub is now doing the heavy lifting. However, after inserting the HPF between the pre-out and main-in, the upper frequencies are just not as 'sweet'. So I gained infinitely better bass, but whatever is in the HPF seems to adversely affect the midrange on up.

In short, I'd like a good integrated amp that incorporates a crossover for the sub...

Any suggestions? Thanks for any replies.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

How about just a better crossover instead? On an analog stereo amp running with a sub, personally if it were me I'd rather have a separate (pro studio rack mount) crossover between the full range pre-out and main-ins than an integrated crossover. But that's just me.

It sounds to me like the crossover network you're using is either defective or horribly engineered.

Have you looked at pro studio equipment? I think that may be the direction I'd pursue if I were in your shoes.

3. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

You might want to look into the NHT X1 outboard crossover. I believe they do sell them seperately.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It hadn't occurred to me the last time you asked about this, but when Mark mentioned the X1 I remembered it. You might look at Paradigm's X-30 crossover. They can usually be found for $100 or less used.

According to NHT, you should not use the X1 with any other subs but theirs, because it was designed specifically for their tower bass modules and subs.

5. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

To actually answer your question, James, there are two options that immediately come to mind. Harman Kardon offers two stereo receivers that have subwoofer preouts, the 3380 and 3480. Alternatively, if you prefer to retain use of the NAD's amplification, the Anthem TLP 1 stereo preamp also accomodates a subwoofer.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    James,

Since you like the NAD so much, I’d second Philip's recommendation to just stick with it and get a better crossover. You’ll retain the sound your familiar with, plus it’ll probably be cheaper than replacing the NAD.

My personal recommendation for a crossover is the AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series III. It’s technically a bass enhancement device, but it has a fully independent crossover section that features 24 dB/octave slopes with Linkwitz-Riley alignment. I have one in my system and it has excellent specs and sounds neutral. The crossover frequency is determined by a plug-in module; you can get them from AudioControl or make your own. The factory frequency is 90 Hz. You can regularly find the PCA III on e-Bay, typically for well under $200.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If they're like my HK3270 (a great stereo receiver which I really like a lot!!!!) they have a sub preout but no onboard crossover. This would be no different than what James is already using, he'd still need a crossover of some sort to get the low freqs out of the mains.

8. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Thank you for the replies- the HK looked good, but does indeed appear to be basically a pre-out jack labeled 'Sub'.
    Too bad, it was looking good there for a while.

I'm going to look at the X-30 and Audio Control units. The Paradigm looks small enough to hide in the back once I dial it in. My whole reason for getting the NAD was to replace my Adcom separates and simplify my life, so I'm trying to keep size in mind.

The pro audio units I looked at all seem to use XLR or 1/4" jacks, so adapters would be necessary- maybe I'll visit Sam Ash music tomorrow and see what they have to offer.

Again, thank you for the replies.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You wouldn't need adapters if you got new cables. When I was using Ebtech Hum Eliminators (after buying a fridge that suddenly caused my separates to hum terribly) I picked up the appropriate 1/4" to RCA cables at Guitar Center instead of adapters. I don't know if you're an expensive cable "believer" or not, I'm not. Worked great. Now that I've ditched the separates I only need one for the vintage Crown power amp I'm using for my IB subwoofer.