integrated or seperates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by john waring, Nov 1, 2001.

1. john waring

john waring Agent

I am in the market to buy my home theater system. I have my speakers allredy and now looking for the system to power it. Is it better to buy an integrated system? I have a jvc now but it is only pro logic and I want to upgrade to digital surround sound. I have seen the Harmon Kardon ,Sony,Yamaha, and Marantz. Can't figure which is best. Any problems with any of these that you experts know of? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks,newbie to this new age of surround sound.

2. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

Actually , I have a combination of the two. I use my Denon 3802 as a pre and have a separate amp.

3. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Hi John,
    The answer to your question is dependent upon your budget and how much music listening you're looking to do with this system. If all you're interested is getting DD and DTS and you're not into audiophile quality sound, any receiver in the above brands you mention should satisfy your need. The only addition I would suggest to your list is Outlaw Audio.
    However if you are into audiophile quality sound then you might need to get into separates or get a high-end receiver like the Denon 4802 or 5700 or B&K AVR 305. These babies are at least a couple of thousand dollars and higher which puts them in the neighborhood of a separate system. So you have a lot of options here if your budget allows it.
    What I do not recommend is getting a receiver and amp at the same time to have a hybrid separate system right off the bat because it just feels redundant. A lot of people do this and there's nothing wrong w/ it but usually because they are upgrading their system one component at a time. So you start off with a receiver and when your budget allows, buy a better amp next and then perhaps at a later time change the receiver as well with a preamp.
    Anyhow, hope this helps.

4. john waring

john waring Agent

Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards just getting a very good reciever that will give me DTS at this time. Al I don't think I need anything else. Just looking for a good clean sounding system. My speakers are made by Messina. I find them pretty good. I am waiting to see their new sub that comes out soon and if its not what I like then I am leaning towards a SVS sub.Not sure which one though. Trying to keep it simple. Thanks .

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you're trying to keep it simple, then for sure you'll want a receiver. otherwise you'll get into a whole new world of 'what-if' scenarios.
    the two main benefits of going separates (imo) is flexibility and more power (which usually equates into better sound - especially at lower volumes).
    it sounds like you'll be happy with a receiver, so go with it. i'd also add onkyo as a very high contender. they have great performance and features at reasonable prices. keep denon and outlaw in mind too.
    i don't know exact prices anymore, but i think you can get a really decent receiver for about 700 bucks that'll do everything you want (and then some).
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

6. john waring

john waring Agent

I seem to like the Harmon Kardon AVR 220. It goes for $899.00 here in canada and it has this new thing called EZset. What it does is set all speakers as to where you are sitting with the remote. Or each speaker can be set manually. I am hoping that whichever reciever I get gives me adequate sound for music listening (cd's) as well as good DTS and DD. I may be asking for too much but like I said I'm tryin to keep it simple and hope I don't get addicted to this . So, a reciever and a DVD will have to do for now. Thanks . Oh ya , does anyone know if OUTLAW RECIEVERS and SVS subs are available in Canada?

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

John both SVS and Outlaw will ship to canada..where in Canada are you? I might be albe to help a bit
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

8. john waring

john waring Agent

i am in montreal

9. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Once you figure in the current ugly exchange rate, shipping and taxes there is no benefit to buying outlaw components. The reason they are so popular in the USA is they are a terrific bargain for the performance you get. For us poor Canadians though its simply not worth it. Just buy a decent brand receiver (Denon, Marantz, Pioneer etc..) and add an external multi channel amp (like Rotel..) when you get the upgrade bug. Not to mention if you have a warranty problem you just take it down the street. That and I never thought I'd say this ( really hate to )but it also supports our pathetic economy:)

10. john waring

john waring Agent

good point mark. Thanks

11. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Hi John,
    I think it is a good choice to start out with a receiver. If you choose to learn more about components over the next few years, then you are better equipped knowledge-wise to move into the world of separates.
    I've owned my Denon AVR-3200 for about four years and will slowly make the transition. I wouldn't have been ready to do that with my first system.
    And definitely stay away from the US for now ($$$).
    SVS is an exception of course... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You don't need a centre channel.