Integrated Amps with a Home theater Bypass

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Witko, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

Ok,

I hope I know what I am talking about here. I am interested in getting into LPs and I want to upgrade my system in the best way possible but not spend to much money. So what I am looking at doing is buying a turntable and a preLP-processer and then a 2 channel tube amp. However I want to keep my Home Theater setup the same and I want to use my two Def Tech main speakers for both listening to LPS and for HOmetheater. I have a dennon reciever to use for hometheater. So I want to know if it is possible to hook things up so that when listening to LPs I can bypass the Dennon and use the 2 channel tube amp and when watching movies I can use the Dennon reciever and bypass the tube amp. Is there anyway to do this without having to rewire my speakers everytime?

Also if anyone has a good suggestion for a moderately priced tube amp to use I would happily appreciate it.

Thanks again.

2. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

This doesn't qualify as a tubed solution, but Krell has a nice 200wpc integrated amp with an HT bypass. I looked at the BAT site, as they have a new sweet integrated, but it doesn't mention this feature. I guess neither of these qualify as "moderate price" either, alas.

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

no there isn't a way to do that if you are not wanting to use the tube amp for HT use at least not without switching some wires around.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, this isn't ideal, but awhile back, I bought an NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp for music and used it in the same room as my home-theater system. For awhile, I used the front speakers from the home-theater system with the integrated amp as well. To make switching speaker wires between the two amps easy, I used banana plugs. Short of having separate speakers for the two amps, which I have now, using banana plugs was a great way to utilize two amps.

5. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

I think the easiest way to do this, would be do get a multi switch and hook your speakers up to it. So your speakers would simple be switchable from one source to another. This isnt exacly a high tech solution, but it works.

6. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You know, this extremely interesting thread raises the issue of whether it's best to have two separate, dedicated systems—one for audio/music only and the other home theater (assuming it's practical).

Mike Witko: You are going to love the sound of well-engineered vinyl LPs. They can make magic of the music in an organically transparent way (with the right equipment). Simply thrilling. Please post further questions as you progress in this project. Thank you for the post! JB

8. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

Some interesting posts and some great things to think about as I start looking into Vinyl. I have also considered the idea of having a seperate system for just music but I have a space issue, so that is why I am leaning in the direction of trying to use the same set of speakers. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

9. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Apparently, HT bypass isn't as widely known or implemented feature as I thought. I know it exists. The Krell has it for sure. I thought I remembered reading about a Sony 2-ch preamp that had the same.

It's a shame if the tube-based pre-amps haven't started having this feature. To me, it's obvious.

10. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Jeff,
    Actually there are a lot of pre and ints with this feature, tubed or otherwise.

But he is not really trying to use a bypass. He is asking to hook-up two amps to the same speaker and that is only possible with the use of a speaker switch box as Jack*Mains suggests above.

Mike,
    If you are wanting to do this, your best option is to alays use your 2-ch amp for the front speakers at all times, HT or music. Besides your separate 2-ch amp will most likely sound better than your Denon anyhow for HT or music.

Here are some tubed integrated units to look into that specifically offer an HT bypass, although this is really not a necessary feature, it is just more convienent.

Rogue Audio Tempest int.
    Cary SLi-80 int.
    VTL St-85 int.
    VAC Avatar int.
    Pathos Classic One int.
    Anthem Int 1 or 2 int.
    Antique Sound Lab Leyla, AQ1010 DTI, or Orchid 2A3 int.

There are probably more but these are all I can think of right now.