What's new

Integra Research RDV-1??? (1 Viewer)

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Does anyone have any experience with this machine. It seems to be the only one at this price point with the "rave" reviews for both video and AUDIO. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it downsamples 24/96 through the digital output. :thumbsdown: :frowning:
I am buyng the Toshiba 16X9 34" set and want to replace my Cal Audio CL 20 which is nice and sounds Great but is getting a little long in the tooth.
Thanks
rw

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, the Integra RDV-1 is an elegant machine and sounds great, in my opinion. Picture quality is also great. However, it sells for around $3000, and for $1800 or so, you can get the Integra DPS-9.1, which is very similar in quality all around. The '9.1 isn't as elegant in appearance with its black chassis as the '1, but comes quite close in performance for a lot less money. Interestingly, Hi-Fi Choice in its current issue gave the '9.1 and '1 as well as the similar Onkyo DV-S939 mediocre reviews. Certainly, give the '9.1 or '1 a thorough demo before plunking down any cash.

If audio capabilities are a major consideration, you may want to look elsewhere. For example, I feel you would do better with the Sony SCD-XA777ES multi-channel SACD player for $2000-3000. Sure, it doesn't do DVD-Video or DVD-Audio, but it is a first-rate CD and SACD player. Let the 'XA777ES do the audio, and then get a lesser expensive, but still capable, progressive-scan DVD-Audio player for video and to have both high-resolution formats covered. Just a suggestion.

While the 'XA777ES retails for $3000, Oade Bros., an authorized Sony dealers, sells it for $2000. Get it for $2000, and spend the other $1000 (since you were allocating $3000 for the RDV-1) on a quality progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. Candidates include the Panasonic DVD-RP91 (under $1000), the Denon DVM-4800 (around $1100), and Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 (also around $1100).

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Keith,

Thanks, I saw the ad and a few others. I've actually thought about your other suggestions. I am trying to find out what makes the RDV-1 so much more expensive then the other two models. The only difference that I can see is the rear panel.

I've thought long and hard about the two player solution as well as getting a Camelot Round Table (excellent for now but without upgrade capabilities and $4k is a lot to plunk down for a device that has no forward path). I've dealt with Oade and they were very competent.

I do want to audition the RDV-1 at home (the dealer will let me do this as long as I make a similar purchase if I don't like it). Reviews are fine but there is nothing like plugging the equipment in and listening at home for about a week. The only thing that really bothers me (on paper at least) is the downsampling issue.

Thanks

rw

Randy G

Second Unit
If it helps, I can hook anybody up with a full service(GREAT service,BTW) dealer who will give almost 22% off including shipping. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.
Randy

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Just talked to my dealer. The RDV-1 may not be available, he did talk to Integra and asked the question: "Besides cosmetics what is the difference between this and the other models?" Well, they couldn't give him an answer. So it seems that you are paying for looks and not performance.

rw

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks