1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Integra Research RDC-7 Owners Unite!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Schamis, Sep 4, 2001.

1. David Schamis

David Schamis Stunt Coordinator

I just bought one of these, and so far have been very impressed.
    Does anyone know of a web forum that is dedicated to this pre-amp? I previously owned a Sony 9000ES, and loved the various web sites dedicated to it.
    If not, anyone interested in starting one? I would volunteer to if someone tells me how to go about it (AV Science?).
    David Schamis
    New York, NY
    USA

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

David,
    This is slightly off-topic, but how flexible is the configuration on the RDC-7? Do you have multiple crossover options, or just a THX 80 Hz crossover?
    If you feel like doing so, I'd love to see a full review of this controller from someone such as yourself.
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Daivd if there's enough interest I'm sure I can provide you a Club Integra.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

4. Les Holt

Les Holt Agent

David,
    I'm currently own the 9000ES, and am looking seriously at the RDC-7. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how the two compare.
    Thanks,
    Les

5. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

David -
    I have not found a Forum dedicated solely to the RDC-7, or even to Integra Research or Integra products in general. But if one gets started, "I'm there". :>)
    Scott -
    The Integra Research RDC-7 is an extraordinarily fine pre/pro at an unbelievably low price for its quality and features. Reviews in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater (Feb 2001), and now Widescreen Review (Issue 52 print version; Integra Research review not indicated in the index to articles listed on their site, although it is on the cover and does actually appear in the magazine) and The Perfect Vision (Sept/Oct 2001) are quite complementary (in fact the reviewers for SGHT and TPV bought the RDC-7 and the associated RDA-7 power amp as reference units.) However, its "Achilles heel", and the feature that kept it from being rated in the top category "Class One" in TPV's latest guide to pre/pros (same issue as the review), is the lack of flexible bass management. The RDC-7 is locked in to the THX-standard 80hz crossover.
    I almost didn't buy one because of this singular glaring omission in an otherwise comprehensive and high value feature set. But after trying out a competing model that did have more flexible bass management, but was seriously flawed where it counts most for me -- its ability to play music -- which the RDC-7 does with the resolution, dynamics and accuracy of a dedicated preamp for that purpose, I decided to learn to live without the bass management features in favor of the RDC-7's high end performance in every other area. (In my nearly three months of experience with it, I can say that it has met or exceeded my high expectations, and I have not found the bass management issue to be a "show-stopper" in real-life use of this excellent unit in my system.)
    Although, so far, Integra Research has shown no inclination to change their implementation of bass management in the RDC-7, I am still hopeful that they might be persuaded someday to include more flexible bass management options in a future software upgrade.
    Burke
    [Edited last by Burke Strickland on September 04, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

6. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Thanks Burke, that's a great review of the RDC-7. I read the TPV article and am very intrigued by the RDC/RDA combination, though admittedly more from a home theater perspective. I was hoping, like you, for more flexible bass management features, but I'm also not sure if it's a showstopper. Seems like many of the THX-certified products have this stipulation.
    What has been your experience with it as a multi-channel sound processor? The TPV review was extremely complimentary.
    It seems like this product really provides ultra-high quality for a great price (relative to its immediate competition).
    ------------------
    Scott

7. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Scott -
    I've been very favorably impressed with the RDC-7's performance on movie soundtracks. It does a superlative job with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, presenting a seamless surround sound field and impressive directional cues (and motion) when present in the soundtrack. And the new Dolby Prologic II is a revelation with older-format (e.g. Dolby Prologic or "Dolby Stereo") soundtracks.
    David -
    I am now aware of a new Forum, "Club Integra", dedicated specifically to discussion of Integra/Integra Research products. While the impetus to organize it was the growing interest expressed in the RDC-7, discussion will not be limited to just that model. But you can be sure the Moderator there will be happy to see a lot of RDC-7 tips, techniques and listening impressions posted there. Of course, I would encourage people to continue sharing their excitement over the Integra/Integra Research products here at HTF, too.
    Burke
    Club Integra
    [Edited last by Burke Strickland on September 05, 2001 at 05:29 PM]