Integra receivers having audio dropouts too?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Anyone out there with an New Onkyo Integra reciever? I was wondering if they are experiencing audio dropouts like some of the Onkyo's.

Thanks for the input.

Nick L

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I have been reading up in this problem a lot, because I am concerned with the copywrite issues that Universal is creating. From what I have gathered, it has to do with the EX/ES decoding chips being confused by the fact that there is anti copy info in the EX flag spot on the disk.

I assume that the Integra's will have the problem becuase they use the same decoding chips as the regular onkyo line.

I have been trying to find out anyone with the new EX/ES capable Yamaha's are having the problem, since Yamaha makes some of their own chips.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Questions or concerns about new DVDs including Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor? - 12/21/01
    Valued Integra Research Customers,
    During a recent software testing session in our labs we have encountered a problem with several newly released DVDs that we want to make you aware of. Specifically we have experienced problems with Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor. The problem in question is related to audio dropouts at various points throughout both movies when playing the Dolby Digital soundtrack. After conducting a thorough investigation into this issue we have identified what we believe to be the cause of the problem and would like to make you aware of our findings and a recommended solution.
    · Our testing shows the audio dropout problem to be isolated to the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. The DTS 5.1 soundtrack plays back without exhibiting any problems. Therefore we strongly recommend that you switch to the DTS soundtrack when available to realize the full potential of your equipment and the home theater experience. Likewise you can also play back the disc using Dolby ProLogic or ProLogic II without any problems. You can select these alternative audio options from the DVD's software menu, which frequently load automatically after playback begins. Typically the additional audio tracks can be found in the opening menu under "Audio" or "Languages", but may vary slightly from disc to disc. If you have questions regarding your specific equipment please our Customer Support Department.
    · Although we have only been able to verify the problem with Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor, we have been informed by Dolby Laboratories that other soon to be released DVDs may exhibit a similar problem. Unfortunately we do not know of any specific titles at this time. However we will update our web site as more information becomes available.
    · We have been able to verify that the problem exists on the majority of our new receiver line. We are currently testing other models and will post the results in the near future. We understand that other equipment manufacturers are experiencing similar problems.
    · Based on our exhaustive testing and after consulting with Dolby Laboratories it is our opinion that the problem is related to the audio encoding software that was used to master the DVDs in question and that the problem is ultimately a software problem. Dolby Laboratories, the movie studios in question, Integra Research, and other manufacturers are working together to prevent a similar problem from recurring.
    Thank you for your understanding and patience regarding this matter. We will keep you updated as we gain further information.
    Regards,
    The Integra Research Product Development Team
    http://www.integraresearch.com/articles.cfm?id=15

4. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

hi i have the yamaha rxv1 and i have no problem at all with dts-es or dolby-d es, i have pearl harbor,& jurrasic park dvds no problem, joe

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Thanks Joe, while I assume that the flagship RX-V1 uses better chips than the RX-V1200, I will take that as a good sign since the chips are probably at least from the same family.

6. Stevie B

Stevie B Auditioning

I remember seeing threads talking about audio dropouts on Onkyo receivers and it had something to do with the Cinema-EQ setting being used. If this feature is turned off then the DD track plays fine. However, this sounds like a different problem, disk specific. I'm curious though if the problem still exists with Cinema-EQ turned off. Ultimately the problem should not exist and it sounds as though the manufacturer is addressing the issue. .[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Stevie,

Cinema-ReQ is designed to work with DD and DPL tracks. Audio problems with Cinema-ReQ only affect the DTS track. That is a separate issue from the audio dopouts that have affected Onkyo, Denon, Outlaw and Kenwood.

David

8. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Thanks for the post Mark, that pretty much sums it up.

Nick L