Integra RDC-7 vs. Lexicon MC-1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy G, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Anybody like to compare these?
    Other than Logic7 and perhaps one or two more crossover points, any major differences in features or sound? Seeing as that the street value is pretty darned close, what would sway your decision either way?

2. David Schamis

David Schamis Stunt Coordinator

I think that these two are actually hard to compare.
    The RDC-7 has many more features:
    - Component video switching
    - Analog direct
    - Multi-channel input
    Wouldn't the better comparison be between the RDC-7 and the Lexicon MC-12? They have basically the same features, but the Lexicon is more than twice the price. So the question is, is it worth the price difference?
    I have an RDC-7 and am very happy with it.
    David

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Hi David,
    Can you do any type of 7.1 processing for stereo sources, like Logic7 does?

4. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

"Wouldn't the better comparison be between the RDC-7 and the Lexicon MC-12? They have basically the same features, but the Lexicon is more than twice the price. So the question is, is it worth the price difference?"
    I don't see how you can compare the integra to the MC-12 or MC-12B or say they have the same features. There IS a reason for the difference in price.
    Does RDC-7 have:
    - Logic 7?
    - 4 SHARCs'(w/ the ability to add 12 more!)
    - 13 digital inputs (probably overkill)
    - 30 years of professional digital surround pioneering and expertise?
    I could on. The integra is a nice processor but isn't on the same platform as the MC-12 and physically doesn't have the horsepower to keep up. Back to the MC-1: if high-res audio isn't important(and it shouldn't be in analog form) the MC-1 is still a top-notch processor because of Lexicon's propietary surround modes and digital expertise. As far as component switching, unless you have at least 3 sources that need it, so what? It's better to go direct anyway.

5. David Schamis

Earl,
    There's no question that the MC-12 and the MC-12B is superior to the RDC-7 - my only question is how that difference compares to the price differential.
    But I would still argue that as far as features go, the RDC-7 is closer to the MC-12 than it is to the MC-1.
    Also, analog audio is very important is you want to do SACD or DVD-Audio.
    David

6. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

David,
    High-res audio in it's current form doesn't do the format justice because of issues with bass management and time aligning your speakers. So until DVD-Audio and SACD players start out-putting a digital signal: why bother? Unless of course you just want to be an early adopter and if the catalog of titles so far has stuff you want to hear, then you should go for it. But features alone shouldn't determine your purchase that's why people should just go and listen then decide. You have a great sounding processor and I've heard it. Just leave the "feature" comparisons to people with receivers [​IMG].

7. David Schamis

Earl,
    Again, I agree with your assessment of SACD, and I agree that what we really need is a digital input, but ...
    Sony's latest SACD player (555ES) offer bass management on BOTH multi-ch and 2-ch audio, so long as you have a multi-ch input on your pre-amp.
    Is this ideal? Definately not. Does the SACD player do as good of a job on the bass mgmt. the pre-amp would? Definately not.
    But, does SACD, even with this less than optimal setup, still sound head and shoulders above CD? YES!
    David

8. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

"But, does SACD, even with this less than optimal setup, still sound head and shoulders above CD? YES!"
    You got me there. And once the catalog includes more music that I actually like, I'll start on some kind of work around for my DC-2(I just can't give up Logic7). I have Active speakers with both rca and balanced inputs so adding an analog preamp isn't so difficult.

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Although, the MC-12 can have 12 output channels can't it?
    It depends on whether or not you can justify the price difference. Especially if you want balanced outputs ($1,000 more for the MC-12B-- ~$10,000).
    If the comparison were kept to the RDC-7 vs. the MC-1, I'd go with the Integra Research myself.
    Many more features and great sound for the money.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

10. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

As I suspect, when a good sounding and reasonably priced imitator of Logic7 hits the market, many consumers will move in that direction. I'm also guessing that DPLII is really made for 7 channels, and that within a couple of years, Dolby will release that version. Gotta milk as many customers as ya can now, then go after them again with the new version later.

11. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

"Many more features and great sound for the money."
    I agree with the sound part but I'm not so sure about the features or at least the "usable" ones. And don't get me wrong, the RDC-7 currently has their bases covered but the only "usable" features it has that the MC-1/DC-2 lack are 5.1 pass-thru and I think a better dac set. The other stuff (dts discrete, neo:6, balanced outputs, component swiching etc.) is much more system dependant and some are just useless(dts discrete & neo:6). While the Lexicon's also have features that the Integra lack, mainly Logic7 and their proprietary sound processing that no company, short of Merdian, can match. I realize this is also dependant on preferences but at least Lexicon has been at this surround thing before I was even born and actually cares about it. They don't just buy a bunch of chips and algorithms, shove em' in a box and sell em' to you. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Earl_C on October 08, 2001 at 12:34 PM]

12. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

"As I suspect, when a good sounding and reasonably priced imitator of Logic7 hits the market, many consumers will move in that direction."
    Have you read the specs on THX Ultra2? Sounds like a cheap knock-off to me.
    [Edited last by Earl_C on October 08, 2001 at 12:37 PM]

13. Craig Beierlein

What is the life span of the MC-1?. With Lex focusing on the newer, more expensive units, I wonder with newer formats emerging whether the MC-1 will be able to be upgraded and whether upgrades for the MC-1 will a big priority for them as a company.....thoughts.

14. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

"What is the life span of the MC-1?. With Lex focusing on the newer, more expensive units, I wonder with newer formats emerging whether the MC-1 will be able to be upgraded and whether upgrades for the MC-1 will a big priority for them as a company.....thoughts."
    What "format" should an MC-1 owner concern himself with?
    PLII - No need. Logic 7 more than compensates and can be applied to any 5.1 source for 7 speaker playback.
    Neo:6 - see above.
    dts Dicrete - Useless. Not even a true discrete format in the truest sense of the word. Even the back channels are still monophonic, not even stereo. And if it was so great, how come more studios haven't been beating down dts' door to encoded their dvd's in this so-called "break-through" format. There are what, 6 dvd's so far? Just like with Surround EX(which at least has 25-30 dvd's) Logic7 is a better alternative giving you four seperate, stereo surround channels that are actively and logically steered giving you the best possible envelopment that nothing short of what Meridian offers can match. And Logic 7 can apllied to ANY stereo or 5.1 source to give you 7 speaker playback. Behind the times? Lexicon is at the edge of the art when it comes to surround sound.
    Now if you wanna talk analog by-pass...hey I'm still waiting on that one. But Lexicon owners have never been left out in the cold. Heck, name one processor released before 1996 that can do everything I just said...the DC-1 can.

15. Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons Agent

Earl,
    I am not sure what the THX Ultra 2 processing is doing. In reading the press release, they talk about 7-channel plus sub implementation on multi-channel, and specifically talk about 5.1 sources being auto-detected and converted for sides and rears. It is not clear to me whether this is simply a scheduled delay for the rears from the sides, or where it is calling for the rears to have a derived stereo matrix like Lexicon. I thought I had read somewhere that the rears for this were also to be placed side by side to the rear center.
    In any case, one of the Lexicon advantages is the ability to derive 7 channels plus sub(s) on 2-channel as well as multi-channel sources. This allows multichannel enjoyment for analog, PCM, as well as DD 2.0, 5.1, DTS, etc.
    Regards,
    Will

16. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

Yeah, there's not alot of info there. Logic 7 has been around since the late 80's and people are still doing 7 channel surround wrong. That's why I called it a cheap knock-off.

17. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

The people who work for Lexicon may care but the parent company, Harman International, does not. According to Andrew Clark from Lexicon JBL will be marketing a rebadged MC-12B to be known as the SDP-40. It will be packaged in one of JBL's Synthesis home systems. In addition certain Harman/Kardon receivers will include Logic7. For further info check the post at the SMR forums.http://discussion.iland.com/~smr-for...ad?304530,1215
    I feel it is a slap in the face to long time Lexicon owners but Harman must know what they are doing. I just hope the JBL's Lexicon does not end up at UBid.com like some of their stuff does.
    Frank

18. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

19. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for clarifying that. I never realized JBL swung so widely in price. It makes sense that you have to go Lexicon to get full logic 7.
    Frank

20. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Lexicon processors also offer
    1. A Fletcher-Munson based loudness function which usually yields natural sounding bass at low listening levels while only marginally increasing the offensiveness to the rest of your household.
    2. Logic-7 encoding. IOW, they can matrix encode a 5.1 original (off the satelite) for recording and then extract something very close on playback (off the S-VHS tape) although on the DC-1/DC-2/MC-1 this does preclude simultaneous use of the main zone outputs for a non down-mixed version or with a different source.